I found something close to pulque

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was making a documentary in Mexico, and the local tourism board wanted to make sure I was introduced to pulque. I tried it, and am glad it was only once.

Recently, due to some articles in Zymurgy and BYO, I think, there has been a lot of interest in pulque. The recipes I see are all pretty much the same- an agave nectar mead.

This isn't quite accurate, sadly, although I'm sure it tastes great, and probably better than the real stuff.

I wasn't sure how to best communicate this, until I stumbled across something similar to how I remember pulque. Definitely not the same, but similar.

Rejuvelac. And not well made rejuvelac. Sprout twice as much rye as the recipe calls for. After it's done fermenting, strain every last bit of liquid out of there. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple days, and pour off the top 1/2. This should leave behind a thick, slimy drink, about the consistency of pulque. Drink this. Imagine it is twice as vegetal, and that's about the flavor of pulque.

I am sure I could learn to appreciate real pulque. And I'm sure the agave meads are delicious. But calling agave mead "pulque" is like calling a fine Gouda "sour milk left to thicken". It's just not the same.

/rant

I don't think anyone drinks pulque because it tastes good.

I've heard pulquerias mix it with syrups or juices to make it sweeter, like Berliner Weiss.

Back