The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I don't like Roasted Malts....realization.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccullpl
PJoyce85,

would you recommend steeping only the roasted malts separately, or all the specialty grains?
I throw my other specialty grains in the mash with no noticeable difference. You don't have to mash them, but I'm lazy.

There is definitely a noticeable difference when you take the roasted grains out if the mash.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

I made the Milk Stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and that used a large portion of Black Patent malt. When it was fresh, it earned a bronze in competition, but the roast flavor and aroma where overwhelming and unpleasant IMO. Judges notes used words like "ashtray" and one suggesting reducing the Black Patent. Fast forward 6 months and the harsh roast flavor and aroma have faded to a smooth, pleasant beer that I can still only drink one of at a time. I too will be wary of recipes using large amounts of highly roasted grains and am anxious to try tossing them in the sparge instead of mashing like suggested. To the OP, I suggest you steer clear of any recipe using Black Patent becuase it is has a definite coffee quality and while I do enjoy some roasted grains, that one is one I will never personally use again.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill
Jayhem Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
Darren231
Recipes 

My second batch of all grain was a stout. I'm a chef and hate recipes, relying more on ratios and technique. I read a little and built a Rims system and dove in. I refer to that batch as my "lucky stout" I mashed really thin (memory...I took no notes) probably 2qt/#. I used 2 row, munich, honey, caramel 40 and chocolate. My ex sister in law (sommelier, cicerone, hater) tasted as she was picking up her kid and described it as flawless, offering that homebrews almost always are not. Quite a compliment coming from her.

The beer was smooth, drinkable, and had no dirty ashtray, thin coffee or even toasted notes. To my taste it was almost flat because of the low hop dose (Columbia 60 min) 2z/10 gal. I have wondered if the thin mash had something to do with it. That seems like the only difference between that batch and later, less successful attempts.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'm with you on the roastiness. I know people say the line is blurred, but basically I make porters instead of stouts for this reason. To me a porter is about a luscious layering of malts--English 2-row, crystal malts, English chocolate, Special B--but I just can't get down with roastiness.

On the other hand, I love me some coffee flavors! Guess it's each to his own.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I'm with the OP. I go out of my way to avoid porters, stouts, and any style with a lot of "roastiness". More for everyone else.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #26
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 181

I love me some stouts!! But it hurts my GI tract, more so as I get older. I'm brewing a stout with 2/10th dark roast and cara 60. I mashed at 148F (90min) and mashed out at 170F. I'd like this one to be dry.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
DPBISME
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default LOw ABV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Thanks. I actually have a Mild planned for this spring using Pale Chocolate Malt and Crystal malts. I enjoy low ABV malty English brown ales so I'm sure a mild would be to my liking.
I am a big fan of Low ABV beers... I can drink more and don't get "toasted"...

Brewing a 3.5 ABV Berliner Weisse soon, a couple Summer Ales that should come in not low but I am shooting for 4.5 ABV, and I have a low ABV Kolsch Recipe I like.

"Big" beers seem all the rage.... and it is the one "beef" I ahve with so many Brewpubs abd Breweries that I can't go and have four (4) pints and drive...

DPB

Quick Reply