Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I don't like Roasted Malts....realization.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

For me it's the coffee...certain malts seem to be overwhelmingly coffee to me, even in small quantities. One such malt is TF&S Brown Malt. Ever had water from an old coffee pot? That's why small quantities of brown malt in a batch taste like to me.

The jury is still out on Pale Chocolate - I initially went for it b/c it's much more mellow than normal Chocolate malt, but I'm thinking it's more coffee leaning than it's higher-roasted friends.

I also don't like Midnight Wheat - I thought that would be a mellow option. It is mellow, but it's a weird roasty flavor, almost like stale, hollow roast....it lacks the sharp fresh zing of most roasted malts.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
For me it's the coffee...certain malts seem to be overwhelmingly coffee to me, even in small quantities. One such malt is TF&S Brown Malt. Ever had water from an old coffee pot? That's why small quantities of brown malt in a batch taste like to me.
Full agreement on coffee tastes. I don't like coffee anyway. Someone brought an imperial espresso stout to our St. Paddy's party and one sip of it and I thought I was going to lose my corned beef and potatoes! Disgusting!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I just brewed a vanilla porter with a fairly low ABV, (4.5%) Well, I guess that's low for me... At any rate it's very smooth but there is definitely a coffee/chocolate finish to it and I can't imagine anybody would drink more than one or two in a sitting because it's just too rich.

Now a nice pale ale or fruit ale... That's a whole different critter there.

Now Serving: Good Time Wheat Ale

Now Serving: Skinny Cow I.P.A.

On Deck: Muddy Creek Chocolate Stout

On Deck: Skinny Cow I.P.A.

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
TyTanium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Full agreement on coffee tastes. I don't like coffee anyway. Someone brought an imperial espresso stout to our St. Paddy's party and one sip of it and I thought I was going to lose my corned beef and potatoes! Disgusting!
Yup, agreed. I have enjoyed some imperial stouts/porters with fresh, sharp roasty (but not overpowering) character that don't taste like day-old stale coffee, but I think there's also enough body & sweetness to keep away that old-thin-coffee taste. Either that or enough chocolate comes through.

Thanks for posting this, I'm glad I'm not the only one

Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
mccullpl
Recipes 

I made this realization just a couple weeks ago...A while back, I made NB's Dry Irish Stout extract recipe, and thought I screwed up, because it was very harsh and bitter. Then a guy in our homebrew club made the all-grain kit. I tried that, and it was pretty much the same. I couldn't believe how highly rated the kit was, because I thought it was just about undrinkable. About a month ago, I brewed the Irish Ale from 'Brewing Classic Styles', which called for 6 oz of roasted barley. When I kegged it, I sampled it, and all I smelled and tasted was roasted barley. Now that it's carbed up, and a few weeks older, it's much better, but it still seems like the roasted flavor is a bit much. I think I'm a bit oversensitive to it now. When I have commercial stouts with roasted barley, I can tell it's in there, but it's much smoother...maybe I need to give my beers more time to mellow out...

Pat

Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 86 Posts

For the all grain brewers, instead of mashing your roasted grains, throw them in at the sparge or make a separate steeped liquid with them. This will REALLY round off the edges if you are trying to get rid of the harshness from roasted grains.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post

The jury is still out on Pale Chocolate - I initially went for it b/c it's much more mellow than normal Chocolate malt, but I'm thinking it's more coffee leaning than it's higher-roasted friends.

I also don't like Midnight Wheat - I thought that would be a mellow option. It is mellow, but it's a weird roasty flavor, almost like stale, hollow roast....it lacks the sharp fresh zing of most roasted malts.
I agree about the brown and Midnight. I recently put 6oz brown malt in an APA for some reason, really just to see what it would do. It's still fresh and others can't taste it, but I can. I also put 8oz TF amber in, which is what DFH uses I think. I think in my head that brown and amber's only difference is about 10 min in the oven, although its about twice the Lovibond. The difference between done and burnt toast.

Mac: But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun
Thorny: And his shenanigans are cruel and tragic

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
TyTanium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobhat View Post
I agree about the brown and Midnight. I recently put 6oz brown malt in an APA for some reason, really just to see what it would do. It's still fresh and others can't taste it, but I can. I also put 8oz TF amber in, which is what DFH uses I think. I think in my head that brown and amber's only difference is about 10 min in the oven, although its about twice the Lovibond. The difference between done and burnt toast.
Yeah, that's interesting. I love amber malt. I guess it hints at coffee, but it's so much warmer and richer...I like your description, difference between done and burnt toast.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Just the thought of drinking a stout makes me sick right now. Have you ever got a bad taste for something and just the thought of it makes you want to vomit? Kinda like waking up with a bad tequila hangover and just the thought of tequila is enough to make you sick.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
mccullpl
Recipes 

PJoyce85,

would you recommend steeping only the roasted malts separately, or all the specialty grains?

Quick Reply