Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I don't like Roasted Malts....realization.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default I don't like Roasted Malts....realization.

Recently I have come to the conclusion that I really don't care for roasted malts of any kind.

I would always drink a stout if offered one but I would never want a second. I thought it was just because they are "heavier flavor" but after trying to drink 4-5 Irish Stouts (only 4.5% abv) in a row on St. Paddy's Day...I felt like I was going to puke! Even smelling it made me sick.

I believe the reason is that the burnt flavors of roasted malt reminds me of 2 things I detest: 1. Cigarette smoke 2. Coffee

Anyone else not care for roasted malts?

I'm going to concentrate on my Pale Ale and blonde recipes for awhile and maybe I'll come back to stouts/porters next winter.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Recently I have come to the conclusion that I really don't care for roasted malts of any kind.

I would always drink a stout if offered one but I would never want a second. I thought it was just because they are "heavier flavor" but after trying to drink 4-5 Irish Stouts (only 4.5% abv) in a row on St. Paddy's Day...I felt like I was going to puke! Even smelling it made me sick.

I believe the reason is that the burnt flavors of roasted malt reminds me of 2 things I detest: 1. Cigarette smoke 2. Coffee

I'm going to concentrate on my Pale Ale and blonde recipes for awhile and maybe I'll come back to stouts/porters next winter.
I like them but they can be over done...

Brew a MILD and put to much of a Chocolate Malt I had never used in it and it is more like a porter...

I am starting to cut way back on them.... so when the recipe calls for 6 oz I will not be adding a pound!!!!!

DPB

Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Being a big lager fan, I can understand your feelings about roasted malts.
There are not a lot of fully roasted malts that I can point to and say that I crave them.
I find that you just have to have a roasted flavor that works in the right combination in order for it to be appealing.

Examples...

4th Dementia - Kuhnhenn
Good Humans - Shorts Brewery

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post

Me. I am totally with you here.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
Brew a MILD and put to much of a Chocolate Malt I had never used in it and it is more like a porter...

DPB
Thanks. I actually have a Mild planned for this spring using Pale Chocolate Malt and Crystal malts. I enjoy low ABV malty English brown ales so I'm sure a mild would be to my liking.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
HeiferRichter
Recipes 

Just some random thoughts, feel free to ignore me:

1.) Generally stouts and porters aren't lawnmower type beers where you can just have 4 - 5 of 'em (though some people can!).
2.) Heavy use of roasted malt in a beer is generally not to style.
3.) What stout were you drinking? Was it commercial?
4.) Great tasting stouts and porters usually don't have overwhelming roasted flavors and don't make heavy use of roasted malts. Take Snowdrift vanilla porter, for example, a very smooth beer.
5.) Perhaps the maltster can "burn" or scorch a batch (i.e. screw it up)... and mix it with other batches of good roasted malt...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeiferRichter View Post
Just some random thoughts, feel free to ignore me:

1.) Generally stouts and porters aren't lawnmower type beers where you can just have 4 - 5 of 'em (though some people can!).
2.) Heavy use of roasted malt in a beer is generally not to style.
3.) What stout were you drinking? Was it commercial?
4.) Great tasting stouts and porters usually don't have overwhelming roasted flavors and don't make heavy use of roasted malts. Take Snowdrift vanilla porter, for example, a very smooth beer.
5.) Perhaps the maltster can "burn" or scorch a batch (i.e. screw it up)... and mix it with other batches of good roasted malt...
It was 2 homebrews; 1 was a black IPA that has aged to a point where the hops have faded and the darker malts are predominant, the other was my own dry stout which only used 0.75 lb of roasted barley in a 5.5 gallon batch and 2 oz of caraffa III. Even that was way to roasty for me to handle more than 1 of. Perhaps I just need to cut back even further on my use of roasted barley?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
HeiferRichter
Recipes 

Quote:
Perhaps I just need to cut back even further on my use of roasted barley?
IMHO, I would agree. .75lb in 5.5 g batch is a lot especially on top of another roasted malt like Carafa III.

Try limiting it to 1 - 2 oz. and go from there.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I admit that after this year's St. Paddy's Day festivities, I experienced a little "palate fatigue" with respect to roasted malt. Between the stouts, Irish Reds, and a couple specialty craft beers (a growler of Irish Red IPA and a 6-pack of Black IPA), I'd like to take a break from the dark malts for a while.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 998 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Thats because everybody knows that dark beers are super alcoholic and cause you to add an inch to your belt line everytime you drink one. They are SOOOOOOOO heavy!

</sarcasm>

Everybody has their own preferences. I for one, enjoy dark colored and heavier beers. Extra malty beers without a balance do not seem to fly as well for me anymore. I just can't take all the sweet. Reds and Brown Ales seem to be slow drinkers at my house. Stick to what you enjoy, venture out on occasion to make sure your tastes have not changed, then make what does it for you.

Quick Reply