Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I don't like homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
MoPhunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default I don't like homebrew

How many of you have had a similar experience?

I was talking to the official at my sons basketball game and we were talking about how expensive it is to go out and drink at a bar. I say "that's one of the reasons I started to homebrew". He told me when he was younger you could go out and get a beer for $.50 per. I said "I can make pretty good beer for less than that". His response "I don't like homebrew". His reason "I tried a buddies homebrew 20 years ago".

Buzzer sounds and I didnt get a chance to enlighten him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
stellaontap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Homebrewing has come a long way in 20 years. Aside from that though......some poeple just dont want to experience anything new. I have friends that compare all my beers to Coors Light or Bud......since my beers dont taste like that, they must not be good.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPhunk View Post
How many of you have had a similar experience?

I was talking to the official at my sons basketball game and we were talking about how expensive it is to go out and drink at a bar. I say "that's one of the reasons I started to homebrew". He told me when he was younger you could go out and get a beer for $.50 per. I said "I can make pretty good beer for less than that". His response "I don't like homebrew". His reason "I tried a buddies homebrew 20 years ago".

Buzzer sounds and I didnt get a chancto enlighten him.
The world's full of people and opinions.
You might be able to educate him or show him how good homebrew can be, or he may love the taste of hams and never see the effort of homebrew as worth the time.

Next basketball game bring a six pack of various beers if you want to sway him.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
ArizonaGoalie
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Some people definitely have a thing about homebrew. Either they've tried one years ago that sucked, or they've never tried it but they don't understand the process so they think it's far inferior to what you'd get at the store or a bar or from the Dutch company that owns Budweiser :-)

I've found the tried and true ways to change minds is to have them try yours or have them hear it from someone who has tried yours. Luckily this homebrewer's wife actively vouches for my recipes on FB and the like.

I think it's completely normal for people to feel this way. Actually, I felt this way at one point and even when I started brewing one of my best friends just shook his head. Then he tried my first brew, a kickass Belgian wit, and asked, "You brewed this????" He was hooked.

Within two weeks he started brewing with me, did that for a few batches, now he's brewing on his own.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Dealing with All Homebrew Sucks Guy is pretty much part and parcel of homebrewing. A subset of those guys are guys who think your homebrew sucks even despite all objective evidence merely because it doesn't come from a factory somewhere.

Part of the problem is that the creation of beer, unlike the creation of food products, has taken on this mystical, unfathomable air to a lot of people so they assume there's some kind of voodoo magic that isn't reproducible in the average person's home.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, at least he won't be hangin' around under foot.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

If you've ever been at a gathering like say a barbeque where there's an assortment of good beer and seen that guy who can't stand any of it and is drinking his favorite $10 a 30 pack beer, you know that you can't get everyone to understand, and that's fine.

If they enjoy their swill it's no skin off my nose.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

CatHead Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
shivalotus
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
Dealing with All Homebrew Sucks Guy is pretty much part and parcel of homebrewing. A subset of those guys are guys who think your homebrew sucks even despite all objective evidence merely because it doesn't come from a factory somewhere.

Part of the problem is that the creation of beer, unlike the creation of food products, has taken on this mystical, unfathomable air to a lot of people so they assume there's some kind of voodoo magic that isn't reproducible in the average person's home.
I've found people who feel the same way about food. I make bacon as well and people seem to think there is no safe way to do it at home. It seems like people are so far removed from food production that they think they are incapable.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
Drookit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I knew a rich guy that put Carlo Rossi in a decanter and served it to his rich friends.

The rich friends would rave about it, not knowing the difference between a $300 bottle of wine and a $6 a gallon jug of wine when served from a decanter.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
JoseLima
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Delicious Homebrew.

The better the commercial...... THE WORST THE BEER!!!!!! lol..

JoseLima

Quick Reply