Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I did something stupid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
TeleTwanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default I did something stupid

Ugh I had the perfect batch going. I hit my mash temp dead on ending up at 80% efficiency, I had a resplendent vorlauf, the sparge was amazing, I got a great hot break, and I even remembered to throw in a whirlfloc tab but then it happened: I put my kettle in a tub with ice water, hooked up my wort chiller and turn the faucet on FULL BLAST. I get back to the pot and I hear water gushing out but it's not coming out where it's supposed to so I take off the lid and I find the chiller hose blew off and my wort was being loaded with hose water...I'm not sure how much but at least half a gallon. So I took the kettle out and put it back on the burner and brought it back to a boil then shut her off and cooled it down.

What do you guys think? Am I screwed? lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6071 Times on 5305 Posts
Likes Given: 712

you're fine...(probably even without the extra boil) -- you just lightened your beer a little.

I had that happen once also - luckily the water ended up on the ground and not in the pot. Wait, I guess it didn't happen to me after all!

Let us know how it turns out - we can add it to the "it's harder to kill beer than you think" thread (if there is one - maybe we could start a new post?)

Old 09-30-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yes...that was stupid...but it happens. It will have a lower than intended OG.

Oh Well. Call it a session beer.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 AM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I don't think you hurt your beer, except that It'll be lower gravity than you intended. Take a hydrometer reading so you'll know. If you boiled back down to your intended volume, your gravity will not be affected.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think it will be fine. I didn't take a post boil gravity but my pre boil at 7 gallons was 1.046 so that should get me around 1.062 which is higher than I expected anyway. I was going to boil it down a bit but I didn't want to mess up my hop schedule and also I was afraid I might scortch the bottom because the beer was in ice water for a few minutes prior and my spoon ended up on the ground and I didn't feel like cleaning it. Just eye balling it I think I still only ended up with around 5.5 gallons so I may be still on target.

I'm not too worried about it...Brew and learn!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Yes, and learn to be paranoid about your equipment. I once started siphoning a beer into my bottling pail with an open valve. I noticed it pretty quickly since it was draining on my foot. That's alcohol abuse, as far as I'm concerned.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default I did something stupid....

What was her name?

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #8
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That happened to me once. My chiller was leaking out of the water out connection, and the water ran back down to my wort. It was Edworts Stone IPA clone. It still turned out good, just a little bit lighter than I expected. The flavor was still there, just a little thin. I made sure It didnt happen again though.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

LMAO @ BuffaloSabresBrewer

Half a gallon isn't that bad. It should be fine.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts

It's funny that this has happened to so many people. It happened to me too (and at the time I thought I had to be the only one). I got the bright idea to try and attach a sprinkler to the hose and water my lawn at the same time. All of a sudden I heard aster off in the distance and I ran to see a nice fountain of water ruining my beer. The end result was a beer that was very sub par. Was it due to the excess water though? I don't think so. I think I had some extreme temperature swings during fermentation.

Quick Reply