Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I can't be the only one...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default I can't be the only one...

I started home brewing nearly 10 years ago. I've been drinking craft beer longer than that (it's kinda hard not to when you're from the Pacific NW), and I truly enjoy it! Over the years, I've noticed an increasingly popular trend has become posting beer reviews online (i.e., BeerAdvocate, etc.)... and it annoys me. Spend 3 minutes thumbing through the thousands (millions?) of reviews and you might notice the same themes I do. The one that bugs me the most is the liberal usage of silly terms in an attempt to sound like a professional beer taster, usually by people who don't really know what they're talking about. Again, I enjoy a good craft beer as much as the next guy, I just see no point in over-analyzing it, as this completely takes away from the real reason I got into beer in the first place: thoughtless relaxation and enjoyment!

Anyway...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Revvy linked to a show about this issue, by the BBC, called Oz and James Drink to Britain. I kept all the links here http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=must-watch-tv-oz-and

For me, I don't see how someone who appreciates a beer's aroma, appearance, and flavors takes away from someone else's 'thoughtless relaxation'.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It is beer and it should be fun.

Even beers that fall short of 100+ IBU and/or 10% abv are fun too .

That's another trend I can't stand.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I see your point, but I think there's a time and place for both. I'm a BJCP judge and can use those skills when I'm judging a beer, troubleshooting it for a friend, or really focusing on a beer. On the other hand, I can just as easily "turn it off" and just enjoy what I'm drinking too. Also, I never review beers since it doesn't do anything for me personally.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It annoys me too. I can't tell you how many times me and my wife or buddies will
be sitting enjoying a nice micro brew at our local and have to listen two wankers spend an hour talking about hints of apple blended with caramel and a touch of alderwood and maybe picking up some notes of cherry and burnt sugar . Oh the lemon comunicates so well with the spiciness of the wheat. Shut up allready ! i feel like saying with a smile .

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

As someone who enjoys writing beer reviews as well as reading them, I can only say if you don't like it, then ignore their very existence and enjoy your beer the way you like to.

I like reading beer reviews when I'm trying a beer for the first time, especially if it's a new style.

An I enjoy writing them on occasion. Trying to describe the often complex flavor profile is a fun challenge. And most of those terms you find "silly" are merely evocations of sensory phenomena which is often difficult.

Usually what they remind us of, or what they trigger.

It's sort of like the old maxim "how to you describe jazz?"

I also think it's great that beer is finally being taken as serious as wine in many ways. I think it's great that it's no longer just being thought of as the drink of frat boys and rednecks, considering all the myriad styles available. And that the whole history and culture of beer has been given cache.

You can go have your "thoughtless relaxation and enjoyment," and I and many of my friends, who are beer judges, and brewers, and writers, will continue to have our "thoughtful contemplation enjoyment," which we find quite relaxing.....

The nice thing about this awesome hobby, is that there are many ways to approach it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I understand where you are coming from, but my only question is if it bothers you why go to those site?

As a BJCP beer judge I like to go to webpages like that, I.e. Beer advocate, every now and then just to see if i can taste what they are tasting and if they taste what I can. Sometimes there will be a flavor I distinctly taste but can't place it and those beer review websites can help. For example in NBBC snow day I got a strong fruitiness but was having trouble placing the type of fruit, went to BA and then it hit me, tropical fruits and specifically for me guava and papaya.

Also, as a beer judge I have come to realize not everyone tastes the same thing the same way. One time at a comp I was tasting green pepper ( it was the oddest thing, tasted exactly like green bell peppers) but another judge only got hints of a vegetal character where the beer to me was completely overwhelmed by green pepper.

The point being, I find it interesting to see what flavors people claim to taste ( I say claim because sometimes ignorance on what people are tasting leads them to say the wrong thing, even if they are actually tasting the same thing you are) even if they tend to be full of excessive adjectives and sometimes useless verbs. ( example: the grassy hop flavor and persimmon like bitterness in the finish whispers of a sweet caramel malt backbone much like the caramels my grandma would make) . You just have to look past the crap and filler and get to what they are actually tasting.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brightspot,

People will take any hobby to the absolute extreme. I am with you on the fact that my beer rating scale is very basic ie. Best beer ever <-> This sucks. I don't need to read about people tasting the "nutty" flavor. Their C rating might be my A+ rating.

Don't take people that get into comps, judging, reviewing seriously or let it upset you. Just continue to drink your beer and let them get into that stuff.

Revvy,

"no longer just being thought of as the drink of frat boys and rednecks" <-- These people don't drink "beer"

None :(

Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post

Revvy,

"no longer just being thought of as the drink of frat boys and rednecks" <-- These people don't drink "beer"
Really? You may not consider bud, budlight, etc, beer, but it really is.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
friday
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't read the reviews, I was going to try it anyway and I really don't give a damn what any one else thinks.

Quick Reply