Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I bought my first 50# bag of base malt today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Beerbeque
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default I bought my first 50# bag of base malt today

After 30 batches now, I bought my first 50# bag of 2 row base malt today. I feel like I'm moving up to the next level in brewing and I have an overwhelming feeling of security with all that base malt in the back room.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Makes you feel warm and fuzzy dont it? What was the $$? My LHBS has horrible per pound prices, but I can get a 50# sack there for $40...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It makes you know that you will use at least that amount. The year is young and that is only two and a half 10 gallon batches! You will be at 200 gallons before you know it!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yes it is suprising how fast a sack disappears. I brew 5g batches and still seem to go through 50# in a couple of months. Currently working my way through a sack of pilnser malt, Maris Otter and wheat.

GT

Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

So, what are yall getting youf 50# sacks for? Outside of true BULK buys, what is it costing you to get a single sack of 2-row, Maris etc...

Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

The best I can find for a 55# sack of MO is $61, about the same as midwest, but I can save on their huge shipping costs. Now, though I can go pick it up from the LHBS. There are only two stores within reasonable range of me, and both us L D Carlson as their suppliers. That means I have to go through Carlson's online catalogue, take down the stock numbers, then call the LHBS with those numbers to get the prices, decide what I still want to buy from them, then I can FINALLY make my order with them so that they can pick it up and keep it back for me then call me when they have it. What a bloody work up!!

In answer to the OP, yes, I couldn't stop looking at my first ever bag!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Last edited by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible; 04-07-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

These aren't good prices or anything but:
I recently bought a 40# sack (which isn't really a sack I guess) of German Pils for $57 but the shipping was nothing...that's a pretty rude price but I was just taking advantage of a sale and low shipping. I also just bought a 55# sack of Maris Otter for $60 at 'regular' shipping rates. Both of these from from the 'bigger' online HBS. Which one do you think I normally order from?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Cool I was curious because I can get 50# sacks for $40 down the street... I dont need any now, but in the future of course.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS sells 2 row for about $58, with my club discount it is about $52. If I stop by the Michigan brewery, they sell the same sack of grain for $38.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Sacks of what Pol? It's prob wasting money but I've been trying to stick with either Weyermann or a reputable supplier of Maris Otter (I might try Golden Promise next time).

When I paid that much money for 40# of 'German Pils' the supplier didn't even show the brand...the other supplier that has the decent prices (the MO I bought for $60) does and that's important to me. If I buy 'German Pils' I want to know that it's Weyermann.

I can't remember ever buying much of the domestic malts...I'm not sure I could even tell the difference though. Is there?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply