New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I added caramel to my secondary...actual caramel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I added caramel to my secondary...actual caramel

I brewed an AG pumpkin ale inspired by Souther Tier's amazing Pumking. When I transferred to the secondary I added one dash of cinnamon too many because it needed a little something. It still tastes awesome, but it’s not Pumking because the cinnamon is a bit to prevelant. I decided I would toy around with the batch a bit, just for fun. I wanted a bit more of a caramel flavor to shine through…so I used some squeezable caramel ice cream topping. Not a ton, maybe a tablespoon or a tad more. I added it and shook the carboy up after replacing the airlock. We’ll see how it turns out. I scoured HBT to see if anyone had tried this before, but I didn’t come up with any answers. I’ve seen people adding honey to the secondary, so I figured it’s essentially the same idea. We’ll see in about a week!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did the same thing with a 3 gallon batch of cider but I put more than half of the contents into the carboy. it built up on the bottom just like a yeast cake, turned out to be the best cider I ever tasted

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dang man, shaking your secondary was a bad decision.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
superjunior
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Dang man, shaking your secondary was a bad decision.
overlooked that part. hope op didn't oxidize his beer

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I didn't "shake it" as much as I swirled it around. I didn't realize that was a no-no. So when spices or anything is added to the secondary, you shouldn't do anything to get them mixed in?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
superjunior
Recipes 

a gentle swirling is usually ok. shaking or splashing will introduce oxygen to your beer which you don't want

Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
Well I didn't "shake it" as much as I swirled it around. I didn't realize that was a no-no. So when spices or anything is added to the secondary, you shouldn't do anything to get them mixed in?
Typically, when adding something to secondary, most people will put the addition into the carboy then rack the beer on top. The turbulence created by racking will mix everything pretty well. But time and diffusion would do the same thing even without mixing initially.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's what I do too, but I took a sample and decided that it still "needed something", which is when I added the caramel. I swirled the carboy to get it mixed in, but I definitely did not shake it.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
You should be fine unless you are planning to age this beer. In homebrew set-ups, most beers get some degree of oxygenation, but it usually has minimal or no effect in beers consumed within a couple of months after.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I would worry about there being perservatives in the ice cream topping and that might inhibit any yeast activity that might be going on, or possibly carbonation when the time comes for that. You would think that a tablespoon isn't that much, but alot of the food we eat is way loaded up on these preservatives and a little can go a long way.

Just a thought, you might not have any problems at all...or there might not be any preservatives in the stuff you used. I bring it up because its a common occurance on this forum....someone asks why their beer fermentation has stalled and it turns out they were "experimenting" and added something funky "just for fun" and it turns out they just dropped a crap-load of perservatives in their beer.

Quick Reply