*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Humbling brew day..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Humbling brew day..

Coming up on my year brewversary and probably 40-50 batches in, only 5 extract batches.

Things have been going very well, smooth brew days, consistent results, repeatable process, ect.

Well last night things did not go smoothly and it will surely make me appreciate the brew days that are "boring."

Brewed a 1098 RIS last night...and not only did I have a stuck sparge, I had a stuck first runnings.

I have(had) a converted cooler MLT, with a hot water tank supply braid. I had been noticing slower runoffs lately and knew that I needed to move to a bazooka screen or false bottom. In fact I had a bazooka in my basket at the brew store 2 weeks ago and put it back.

So I open the valve on my MLT after the mash and....nothing. Apparently 21 pounds of grain and 6 gallons of water was too much for my braid to handle..

Luckily I was brewing with a friend, after pouring the mash to my brew kettle and back 3 times and after throwing the stupid braid across the street We finally arrived at a fix. I used an old steeping bag from my extract days to line the tun and a strainer to rest over the nipple.

Anyways, ended up increasing the sparge, boiling longer and hit 1090 which isnt terrible given the situation.

Here is the take away..DO NOT USE A BRAID for your MLT, even if its the "beefier" hot water supply hose. Its a PITA to get the rubber out of the middle, and its really not any cheaper than a bazooka screen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Even cheaper is a cpvc manifold with some slits cut in the bottom of it. It stands up to any grain and I don't worry about kinking it if I stir my mash.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Cap'n Jewbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OP, I feel your pain. I did an annotated brew-day the other day, and the bazooka tube fell off! (The screen came out of the collar that screws onto the valve). So something always can, and sometimes will, go wrong.

Primary/Lagering: April-zen Festbier
Drinking: Starburn Spiced Amber
Drinking: Regulus Rye/Wheat with a bite
Drinking: George Takei's O My-bock

Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I switched from the braid to a cpvc manifold because if this same problem about a month ago. Was having slower runoffs and then boom...nothing. Had to pour through a straining bag and essentially turned into a hybrid BIAB day. Went to Lowes that night and bought some materials and have been happy ever sense.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah, I'm leaning away from the manifold because I have enough **** to disassemble and clean at the end of brew day. Plus I batch sparge so channeling is less of a concern.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1251 Times on 1009 Posts

Snake a stainless steel spring down the stainless braided tube...

Cheers!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Yeah, I'm leaning away from the manifold because I have enough **** to disassemble and clean at the end of brew day. Plus I batch sparge so channeling is less of a concern.
Cleaning out the manifold is really easy, takes me all of about 2 minutes.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Am I the only one who saw 40-50 batches on ONE YEAR? I love to brew, but where are you putting all this beer? That's like 6 beers a day! Gotta admire the passion though, brew on, good sir, brew on.

Quick Reply