Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Huge Road Trip: Where should I stop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 333

If you are just looking to purchase hard to find beers, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this spot anywhere along your route - they have a TON of hard to find beers, lots of imports, belgians, etc.
Iowa City - within a mile or so of I-80. For buying beer, it is a must stop. here is a link to their "by style" inventory.
http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departme...m?method=style

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor
If you are just looking to purchase hard to find beers, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this spot anywhere along your route - they have a TON of hard to find beers, lots of imports, belgians, etc.
Iowa City - within a mile or so of I-80. For buying beer, it is a must stop. here is a link to their "by style" inventory.
http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departme...m?method=style
Wow, thanks! That's quite an impressive selection they have!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Going through Albuquerque, NM you have to go to La Cumbre and have a few and then go to Marble Brewing and get a Red Ale. Knock your socks off it's sooo good.
We just went through there on our way to ride motorcycles in Utah last month. We came back that way just to go to Marble for another Red Ale.
Ditto this exactly. La Cumbre's Elevated IPA has won multiple awards. The brewer there has been interviewed by multiple websites and magazines as one of the top hop heads. Get a 4 pack of cans while you're there.

Marble is amazing. Their Marble Red is one of the best craft beers I've ever had. Drink a couple at their brewery and buy a sixer for later.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #34
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

While in Chicago hit Bennies Liqure best in city has everything.
Nabraska brewing company, there Hop God, Ménage a Trois , Black Betty stout are all really good. Also in IL see if any stores have Brooklyn brewing, Terrapin from Athins GA,Sweat Water from GA, Dog Fish head will be in Chicago as well, 21st Amendment is great. Great Lakes brewing is good.

If you can get to Saint Louis, MO. Second Shift brewing, Perennial Brewing, Square One brew pub good food and beer also a distillery. Urban Chestnut Brewing great German and Belgian brews. Four Hands is one of My Fav's always great also all four of these are only 30 min from total driving.

There are some new brewery's in Arkansas that I have heard are good. Also in Arkansas look for Mothers Brewing from Springfield Mo, those are my local guys and do a really good Brown and IPA.

Side note drop into Denver cause there is to much beer to pass up if not just to hit Falling Rock Tap House. Odell's, New Belgian, Fort Collins, tommy knockers, Breckinridge, Avery, Left Hand, Flying Dog, Great Divide.

Have fun Drive Safe!!! Oh and bring me some Russia River sours for the love of all thnigs fermented!!!!!

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
bergen69
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 19 Posts

Looks as though you will be going through Iowa City...Johns Grocery on S. Gilbert has one of the beer selections in the country! Lots of really hard to get stuff...if your there during the week as for Doug. Also try Backpocket brewery in Coralville (about 15 minutes away) then have dinner at Reds Ale house in North Liberty (another 15 minutes). Their motto is no crap on tap, great selection, have most of the beers that are brewed in state. Try Toppling Goliath's 1492..,my beer of choice these days.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

If you veer a little bit north and go through Wisconsin, we have some great breweries here - New Glarus, Ale Asylum, Sprecher, Lakefront, Tyranena, Milwaukee Brewing Co., Vintage Brewing,

Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #37
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks everyone! I have quite a list developing. I definitely plan on stopping at John's grocery, and probably bennies liquor. Probably have lunch one day at 3 Floyd's.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #38
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Half Acre in Chicago. I believe they only sell to go beer out of there brewery and there is no brew pub. But what I have had from them has been great.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also one good beer store in that local should get you in touch with most of the great Michigan brews.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #40
schwartzy13
Recipes 

Looks like you will be running very close to bourbonnais IL I would stop at brickstone restaurant and brewery they have there national award winning pale ale which beat three Floyd's this year they have good food also

Quick Reply