The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Huge Road Trip: Where should I stop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
ibbones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Going through Albuquerque, NM you have to go to La Cumbre and have a few and then go to Marble Brewing and get a Red Ale. Knock your socks off it's sooo good.
We just went through there on our way to ride motorcycles in Utah last month. We came back that way just to go to Marble for another Red Ale.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Looks like you are on I-80 which will take you within a mile or so of these two breweries:
http://www.millstreambrewing.com/
Amana colonies/amish country - german inspired brewery. Some of the beers aren't great, but some are pretty good. I had an oatmeal stout of theirs recently that I really liked. Their Amber is usually good. Their brewery would be pretty cool I would think.

Also - http://www.backpocketbrewing.com/

Also right off I80 in coralville (iowacity). Relatively new facility. Was just there yesterday. Good dunkel. Also, primarily german inspired beers.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

get your kicks...

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
JollyMon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default When in Memphis

Not a beer stop but you should find a BBQ joint called Rendevous in Memphis. Excellent dry rub Memphis Q. Then you are right on Beale St for plenty of fun.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
I'll definitely be looking for some Three Floyd's.
You likely won't find it unless you go to the brewery or get lucky and IMO it's truly one of the best breweries bar none.
And i agree about the largely going to be in beer hell statement but...

Santa Fe brewing
Grand Teton over the pass from Jackson hole
Hit a Binnys in Chicago and look for founders and jolly pumpkin, specifically jolly pumpkin sours

The two detours I would suggest are

Minneapolis, I don't think it would add much time for surly
San Diego, although given its your home state I'm sure you make it that way a lot. I know you can get alpine(some available in la county) the Bay Area and I'm pretty sure that alesmith doesn't distribute that far north either.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Try and find bourbon county stout in Chicago if that's your sort of beer

Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir

You likely won't find it unless you go to the brewery or get lucky and IMO it's truly one of the best breweries bar none.
And i agree about the largely going to be in beer hell statement but...

Santa Fe brewing
Grand Teton over the pass from Jackson hole
Hit a Binnys in Chicago and look for founders and jolly pumpkin, specifically jolly pumpkin sours

The two detours I would suggest are

Minneapolis, I don't think it would add much time for surly
San Diego, although given its your home state I'm sure you make it that way a lot. I know you can get alpine(some available in la county) the Bay Area and I'm pretty sure that alesmith doesn't distribute that far north either.
Awesome! Unfortunately I'm not the one driving so making large detours is not really in my control, but my parents told me to make a list of the places I wanted to try and stop at.

Three Floyd's isn't too far from crown point Indiana which is where my family reunion is so I will definitely put that at the top of my list.

And really, to be perfectly honest, stopping at the breweries isn't too high of a priority. Really all I'm looking for is what beers I can find in these areas that if I see I NEED to buy. If I can find some liquor stores along the way to stop at I'm trying to develop a list of beer specifics that I should hunt for. Not necessarily the breweries themselves as I'll likely only be able to make it to about 3 of them depending on how much down time we have between traveling.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I try to go into liquour stores, convenience stores or gas station stores wherever I happen to be and buy something primarily on the strength of the label art. I found Four Peaks Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale in Tempe AZ that way.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Shouldn't be too hard to find 3F in Crown Point or anywhere in the general area. I live in Munster. You can find at least the flagship beers in just about any grocery or liquor store around here. Some will also carry some of the specialty beers in bombers also. You can get growlers and bottles of most everything at the brewery itself also. The brewpub itself can get crowded and tough to get into depending on time and day. They've got a carryout side though.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Flagstaff, AZ. Drop by Beaver Street Brewery or Lumberyard brewing. They are owned by the same people, so you'll find the same beers at both locations. Beaver st. Has some some amazing wood fired pizzas though.

Quick Reply