The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How was your brew-day this weekend? (10/26-10/28)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #31
jdoiv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Brewed Friday night. Knocked off work a little early and walked out the the garage with my 4 yo in tow. He helped me get the grains crushed. Mash went fine. Not sure what happened between the begining of the boil and the end.

Starting gravity after the mash was spot on, but gravity after the boil was the same. WTF? I can only guess that I took the reading wrong. I've started using a refractometer for all of my readings and either it got out of whack (the 4 yo was playing with it), or one of my samples was not mixed well.

Second problem came at the end of the boil, but I didn't realize it until everything was in the fermenter. Forgot to add the whirfloc. Oh well, it'll probably be a cloudy. So, I'll have a slightly weaker, cloudy beer in the keg when its all done.

Third problem came when it was time to pitch. I had the batch broken up into two bucket fermenters and pitched a quart of slurry that was saved. Only problem was I pitched 80% of it into one and the other 20% into the other. Oops. Also forgot to aerate.

Checked on it Saturday morning and the bucket that got most of the yeast was going like crazy. The other bucket, nada damn thing. Opened it up, hit with some O2 and added a packet of Safale in. Was up and going later that day.

Was going to brew again on Sunday, but it didn't work out. Everything is measured out and ready to go, so maybe I'll knock it out one night this week. Maybe tonight.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #32
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did good this w/e, except for I got into my first batch of JAOM only 22 hours after I had pitched it. It was really good, didn't stop at one glass. I have a wee headache Monday AM, and about half the original batch still bubbling under the airlock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply