New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How was your brew-day this weekend? (10/26-10/28)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #21
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It seems a few of us had bad frustrating brew days.

Today was my first all-grain. Firstly, i planned on making a stirplate this weekend to get a killer starter for my first AG... Stirplate plans failed.

Then, I was going to buy an immersion wort chiller. My LHBS "always" has them on hand. He's sold 4 all year and keeps 4 in stock at all times. Except, it seems, this week he sold 4 work chillers since Monday, so was out of stock on Saturday when I went to buy one. The HBSes within a 1.5 hour drive all were out as well (as far as I know) and one actually stopped making them at all since people complained about the prices with copper being so expensive.

Hitting the right mash temps was tough since it was my first time needed into pay attention to them, but I think I got them okay. After I added my sparge water my MLT started coming apart. The neoprene washers actually popped off, the stainless braid came off and since it was just the nozzle it clogged. Ended up scooping the grains out and whirling around to get the lauter going.

Once everything got boiling, things went GREAT. SWMBO sat there with me and was a lot of fun.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #22
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The traditional Greman Bock went well.

Doughed in at 4:50 AM overshot the protien rest by 2-3 degrees. No big deal. Sitrred the mash like crazy and was able to get the temp to drop 2 degrees.

Steam mashed all the other temps dead on and collected 15 gallons of wort after a 45-50 minute sparge.

No boilovers!

Finished at 11 AM and ended up with an O.G. at 1.068........88% efficiency!

Pitched the huge starter and saw fermentation in 4 hours. Beer is now resting comfotably and fermenting away at 50 degrees.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed another Guinness Clone.

Nothing bad to report...

I like reading about other people's (bad) brewing experiences, but nothing ever goes wrong when I brew...hmmm...I wonder why?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #24
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
So how did your brew day go? I'll post some highlights of mine.

I brewed with Rdwj and it was a comedy of errors for both of us. We started 4 hours later than we originally wanted to, because i had to get some morning chores done.

So, he's brewing a Hobgoblin and I'm brewing VCCA3. Let's review the errors:

I'll preface it by starting with how I forgot to bring the beers I'd bottled the previous night.

1. Stupid me, I mixed up the grain buckets and mashed his grains. We noticed this right as he was about to mash mine.

2. Rdwj boiled first and brought out the spray bottle for boil overs. It helped keep down his boil overs. Since I was brewing with wheat, I knew I'd need it too. After a few squirts, I noticed a sour smell. Finally I opened up the bottle, and it smelled like vinegar. Rdwj tasted it and...guess what? We've been spraying down our beer with vinegar.

3. Adding hops - I'd also forgotten my Lil Sparky Hop Sock and I don't have a hopstopper. In fact, I'd brought a copper scrubby (a'la Orfy) and forgot to put it on. <gay joke opportunity>So there was a whole lot of blowing by both Rod and I to get my wort flowing</gay joke opportunity>.

4. Got all my wort collected and ended up with only about 4 gallons. Had to top off.

5. For the second time in a row brewing with Rod, he'd left his ball valve open on his primary. Wort on the basement floor.

6. After packing up, I'd left some stuff at his place and had to turn around to get it.

We had some good laughs. It's just not a brew day if it goes smoothly! I pitched some 1056 slurry when I got home last night and it's just now starting to show activity.

How were your brew days?
7. Forgot to Aerate wort.

Thankfully, everything smells great and seems to be progressing normally.

Still, a fun brew day and much less painfull that the last time I brewed with Cheese and burned my foot with hot wort.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #25
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
7. Forgot to Aerate wort.

Thankfully, everything smells great and seems to be progressing normally.

Still, a fun brew day and much less painfull that the last time I brewed with Cheese and burned my foot with hot wort.
I didn't aerate, only because I had a 40 minute ride home in a Wrangler. Just this morning I was wondering whether or not you aerated.

As for the hotfoot, who brews in sandals, hippy?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #26
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
I didn't aerate, only because I had a 40 minute ride home in a Wrangler. Just this morning I was wondering whether or not you aerated.

As for the hotfoot, who brews in sandals, hippy?
I ended up doing it the next day. I'm hoping better late than never. In summer, I rarely wear shoes EVER. I bring the sandals along in the car for those places that won't let you in barefoot.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #27
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I ended up doing it the next day. I'm hoping better late than never. In summer, I rarely wear shoes EVER. I bring the sandals along in the car for those places that won't let you in barefoot.
It's supposedly most effective if you aerate the next day.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #28
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
It's supposedly most effective if you aerate the next day.
From what I've heard, it all depends. If you've pitched enough yeast where there doesn't need to be much yeast growth, you shouldn't aerate after fermenation has begun. If you underpitched, it should be fine to aerate afterwards. What you don't want to do, if I understand it correctly, is to aerate after the yeasts' reproductive phase is over.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #29
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Took a gravity reading on my Barleywine (1.098->1.010) and transfered to the secondary for it's aging. This one is going to be fantastic once it matures.

Brewed 5.5 gals of Kolsch. Decided to make a modification to my process by including a mash out after the sac rest and wound up with a slightly lower efficiency.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #30
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tough weekend. Hefe keg blew, so I cleaned it and racked the AHC batch of Apfelwein (5/15/07) to the clean and sanitized keg. I then cleaned the Better Bottle and made another batch of Apfelwein.

I need to keg my Apfelwein batches quicker. I asked SWMBO to pick up some juice and must have got confused with 5 two-packs (10 gallons) cause she picked up 5 boxes for 20 gallons. Whoo Yaaa.

Now it's out of town for the week, but time enough to get back for Teach A Friend to Homebrew weekend.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply