Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How was your brew-day this weekend? (10/26-10/28)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default How was your brew-day this weekend? (10/26-10/28)

So how did your brew day go? I'll post some highlights of mine.

I brewed with Rdwj and it was a comedy of errors for both of us. We started 4 hours later than we originally wanted to, because i had to get some morning chores done.

So, he's brewing a Hobgoblin and I'm brewing VCCA3. Let's review the errors:

I'll preface it by starting with how I forgot to bring the beers I'd bottled the previous night.

1. Stupid me, I mixed up the grain buckets and mashed his grains. We noticed this right as he was about to mash mine.

2. Rdwj boiled first and brought out the spray bottle for boil overs. It helped keep down his boil overs. Since I was brewing with wheat, I knew I'd need it too. After a few squirts, I noticed a sour smell. Finally I opened up the bottle, and it smelled like vinegar. Rdwj tasted it and...guess what? We've been spraying down our beer with vinegar.

3. Adding hops - I'd also forgotten my Lil Sparky Hop Sock and I don't have a hopstopper. In fact, I'd brought a copper scrubby (a'la Orfy) and forgot to put it on. <gay joke opportunity>So there was a whole lot of blowing by both Rod and I to get my wort flowing</gay joke opportunity>.

4. Got all my wort collected and ended up with only about 4 gallons. Had to top off.

5. For the second time in a row brewing with Rod, he'd left his ball valve open on his primary. Wort on the basement floor.

6. After packing up, I'd left some stuff at his place and had to turn around to get it.

We had some good laughs. It's just not a brew day if it goes smoothly! I pitched some 1056 slurry when I got home last night and it's just now starting to show activity.

How were your brew days?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Yours was better than mine.

Spend all day Saturday muding and taping the 2nd bedroom, along with scraping off the popcorn ceiling texture. With a razor blade (cleanest way of getting it down).

Spend all morning today in the office. Spent all afternoon doing the Daddy thing while wifey went to HER office.

On the positive side, Cassie and I stopped at the packie on the way back from the grocery store, and I picked up a couple bottles of 11th Anniversary...

Oh, and the Pats won 52-7, and the Sox are about to close up the Series. All in all, a good weekend!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Prior to brewing, I moved a 57" rear projection TV (with some help). F'd up the bottom side of it (not too bad, but...). Then I helped Rdwj move around his 10 gallon batch and my 5 gallon batch. My back isn't feeling great today.

On the other hand, I'm going to be an uncle again soon! My sister is "in labor" so it could be any minute, hour, or day before she has Kid 2.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had a very good brew day, just hope I beat the infections.

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Uhh man I'm beat!

It went ok, like you said though it's not a brewday if it goes flawlessly.

I brewed my first IPA, missed my mash temps (too low) and had to add water. Honestly though I think my thermometor is off so I trashed it... F it.

Nothing really went WRONG but I got my first SWMBO anti-brewing rant. Basicly she was pissed bc I "wasn't there"....even though I'm just in the backyard...we fought but it turned out fine...just annoying.

I think I'm going to try the overnight mash next time so I can brew when she's gone.

Anyway, low mash temps, long boil bc to much wort, 6oz of hops and a yeast slury later I'm bubblin' right along.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Yours was better than mine.

Spend all day Saturday muding and taping the 2nd bedroom, along with scraping off the popcorn ceiling texture. With a razor blade (cleanest way of getting it down).

Spend all morning today in the office. Spent all afternoon doing the Daddy thing while wifey went to HER office.

On the positive side, Cassie and I stopped at the packie on the way back from the grocery store, and I picked up a couple bottles of 11th Anniversary...

Oh, and the Pats won 52-7, and the Sox are about to close up the Series. All in all, a good weekend!
It has been a miracle week in Boston sports....

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed a wheat beer last night even though i had a feeling something may go wrong, and it did.

1. My nice digital thermometer (the yellow nist traceble waterproof one) crapped out on me. Was reading a 170*F in 55* weather.

2. Forced to use a floating thermometer i have never used before. The F side uses only two digits after a hundred, easy enough. Ended up using the the C side i couldnt figure out how my once 168 strike water was still at 168 after dough in. Added some cold water but could only get it down to 158 before i decided to give up. Only to realize later i was reading the wrong side and stupid me hit dead on mash temps with 68 CELSIUS!

3. After Mashing in i needed to move my burner and propane tank, and man did that tank feel light (maybe i was getting a little bit stronger). Needless to say it got me through half hour of boil and died.

4. Number three left me draggin 6 or so gallons of boiling wort from outside into the kitchen to see what i could do with that. I tried to get it back to boiling on a elctric stove but my 11 gal pot was too big to make conctact with the burner. I then transfrered half of it into my 4 gallon pot which also too big to make conctact with the burner. So for the next half hour i had to stand over the stove tilting the kettles to get one side in contact with the stove and got somewhat of a boil. i was sweating like a bastard.

5. measured out my hops- used a once Oz bag of hops to calibrate my scale, then measured the next two additions and put them in small glass bowls. Left for a while and came back to realize; damn all three look similiar but two of them were tettnager. I assumed the ones that tasted most like cascades were the cascades (i hope).

6. Oh and i couldnt Figure out why my barley crusher wouldnt crush the grains ( wrong way stupid)

7. Missed my OG by ten points, oh well, and im not sure what kind of fermentables i created in the mash so well see how it ferments. I used the new dry wheat yeast and was going like crazy this morning but slowed down this afternoon.

8. Aerated by shaking my fermenter with teh hydrometer still in it (luckily this didn't end up in a broken hydrometer but could have been bad).

I hope this beer ends up okay and ill chaulk it up as a couple "dont do these things again" (espically the propane). I reaaly wanted this beer to be good too because i have two batches in secondaries that have a awful aftertaste that i contribute to my bad well water (im still going to give them a few more weeks to see if the metalic/basment-y taste goes away). Any one else ahve one of those waterproof digital thermometers stop working? thats what aggrivates me the most. I still had fun, kinda like playing golf- it wouldnt be as fun if you couldn't strive for perfection.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Last edited by tbulger; 10-29-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Brewed up a batch based on BierMuncher's newcastle recipe. First batch with the barley crusher (previously using a corona mill), everything went fine through the mash and boil but by the end of the boil a LOT had boiled off, because it was really windy out today I presume. Ended up a full gallon short. Correcting for volume, it looks like my efficiency was barely 70% - not terrible but not the "miracle" jump in efficiency I had hoped for. Guess the mill wasn't my biggest limiting factor in efficiency - gotta review my techniques I guess.

Also thanks to the wind, the burner put a ton of soot on the bottom of the brew pot, so I made a nice mess of my pants while carrying it, and some towels and the bathtub while chilling and cleaning it.

And, I wanted to try the whirlpool method I'd heard so much about, but (as I so often do) I forgot to throw in a whirlfloc tab or irish moss, so my cold break didn't exactly stick together too well, plus in the process of getting the siphon in there and everything I stirred it up enough to pretty much kill any benefit the whirlpooling may have given.

On the plus side, the Scottish 70/- that I kegged today tastes GREAT based on the hydrometer sample from today, can't wait to tap it.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Purty good.

5 gallon (mini) batch of oatmeal stout with 15% flaked oats. Slow...but not stuck sparge.

Total brew time...3 hours 54 minutes from flame on to last item cleaned and stored...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot to add...

Don't put your autosiphon in 180* water....gotta buy a new one bc it warped

Quick Reply