The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to use Campden Tablets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default How to use Campden Tablets?

Hey. I understand that campden tablets can remove chlorine and another chlora-something from tap water. But how do you use it. Does it cause the chlorine and the chlora-something to fall to the bottom of the container or does it simply vanish into thin air? If I use campden tablets do I need to throw out the last inch of so of water in the bottom of the container? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Crush it up and dump it in the water, no need to toss any water. One tablet is more than enough for 5 gallons.

When I brew I fill my bottling bucket with 5 gallons of water, and my kettle with 4. Each gets half a crushed tablet. The bottling bucket water is so I have chlorine free water for my separate steep pot, top off, yeast rehydration, etc. My beers have improved noticeably since I started using them.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Chloramines is the word you're looking for.

I take one half of a tablet, crush it up, and dump it into the HLT before mashing. Then I take the other half of the tablet, crush it up and then put it in the HLT for sparging purposes.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln
Chloramines is the word you're looking for.

I take one half of a tablet, crush it up, and dump it into the HLT before mashing. Then I take the other half of the tablet, crush it up and then put it in the HLT for sparging purposes.
Never used it myself. But doing it this way, half and half, do you find the water to be better to brew with? Or is the ph stabilizer better at this? Are the tabs used for flavor improvement or better mashing? Sorry if this is a hijack.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13 View Post
Never used it myself. But doing it this way, half and half, do you find the water to be better to brew with? Or is the ph stabilizer better at this? Are the tabs used for flavor improvement or better mashing? Sorry if this is a hijack.
The tablets are purely for neutralizing chlorine/chloramine.

The chemistry is very lightly discussed here: http://byo.com/stories/wizard/articl...ping-mr-wizard

It looks like it breaks down the Chloramine into chloride and sulfite ions, which doesn't remove anything from the water, it just keeps the Chloramine from existing in its normal form.

The water is better to brew with *not* because of improved salt/mineral composition, but purely from neutralizing one bad element in the water.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks for the info guys

Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I have a 15g HLT. For my strike water I heat up 9g but only use 6g, then I add 9g more to get 12g and use that to sparge. My question is: I add 1 campden tablet to the HLT with the strike water but don't add more with the sparge water. Do you think my sparge water is seeing the benefits of using the campden tablet or should I be adding half to the strike water and the other half to the sparge water?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I think that we have pretty good city water in the Detroit area. But when I put it in my camel back, after about an hour it tastes chlorine like. I'm assuming that's what we're talking about.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As bwarbiany stated up above, campden tablets break down chloramines and turns them into chloride and sulfite ions. I just read in a brewing book that there are people out there that are very allergic to sulfites, so if you do use campden tablets, then you need to tell people that there are sulfites in your beer.

Quick Reply