Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How snobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #211
phenry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm not ashamed to enjoy big corporation beer. Just like I'm not ashamed to listen to Ke$ha, enjoy Michael Bay's Transformers, or agree with Airborneguy that Lime-a-Rita is pretty awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #212
hairy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After I started brewing for a while, I kinda avoided all commercial pale lagers like the plague. I was like.... "I can make better beer than these guys. wtf, why should I buy these commercial big boys?"

After a few years of brewing and commercial pale lager bashing, my stance has softened somewhat. I have actually came to realise that the beers are out there because people enjoyed them and wanted them. Who are I to say that these big boys are destroying beer when this is essentially what the masses wanted?

More importantly though, homebrewers pride themselves for making good tasting beer and I still think that in terms of flavor, any homebrewer worth their salt will make a superior beer than the MBC big boys.

However, consider this: pale lager is also technically a good beer. It is a well conceived product. Thin body, clean, flavorless, flawless and low cost. Be honest with ourselves on this. Though none of us find the need to emulate these beers, how many of us can really produce these flavorless/flawless wonders in our kitchen? One small mistake and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is no easy task. These big boys brewers have skill, no doubt about it.

Pale lager have their place in the world of beers but I find their dominance a little disturbing. But it is a free market out there. They can't survive to be becomes this big if they aren't doing something right.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #213
carbonzx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All the big brewers care about is market share and when the craft breweries infringe upon that they try to come in and buy them up so that they can keep thier shelf space filled with that boring pale lager. To me its a losing battle for them and they do make that pale lager well but they are a major hinderance on the progression and acceptance of good beet in the usa. That is what makes them hated.

Primary - speckled heifer
secondary - black ipa
bottled - dunkelweissen

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #214
carbonzx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also. Prohibition is the only reason they ever became so large in the first place when the craft breweries couldnt stay in business due to higher operating costs. By pushing the pale lager on americans at the time as the cheaper beer they dominated the beer market and pushed out other flavors and styles.

Primary - speckled heifer
secondary - black ipa
bottled - dunkelweissen

Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #215
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I will never buy a big business beer if I can help it. Because they don't taste good to me. I don't care about the details: how good those brewers really are, etc, etc. And also a lot of craft beer is (less than okay).

Praise those great breweries that make great beer. The rest of them can go die.

Call me a snob. Still not going to change my buying habits. As for the majority of people who buy crap beer. Good for them... I don't care.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #216
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer
I will never buy a big business beer if I can help it. Because they don't taste good to me. I don't care about the details: how good those brewers really are, etc, etc. And also a lot of craft beer is (less than okay).

Praise those great breweries that make great beer. The rest of them can go die.

Call me a snob. Still not going to change my buying habits. As for the majority of people who buy crap beer. Good for them... I don't care.
My first thought was that you don't deserve to drink beer of any quality with an attitude like that, and my second thought was "Oh wait, this is the guy who says that he only does secondaries and not primaries."
image-2703401453.jpg  

Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #217
dudius
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I am drinking a Batch 19 right now, I looked at it because I had never seen it before and saw it's from Coors. I started a blog recently so I figured it would be good to buy one and try it, especially since Budweiser is releasing "Black Crown" soon. I only bought one, and maybe drinking a six pack over a couple of days would change my mind, but I'd rather drink Coors Light, which happens to cost just over half of what Batch 19 costs.

While I think it's cool they made a beer "inspired by the Coors pre-prohibition recipe", I'm disappointed that it is still rather mild tasting. And it costs as much as craft beer.

Check out my beer blog http://indiebeerdrinker.blogspot.com/

Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #218
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
My first thought was that you don't deserve to drink beer of any quality with an attitude like that, and my second thought was "Oh wait, this is the guy who says that he only does secondaries and not primaries."
This dumb thread is called how snobby. BMC is ****. And only a fraction of 'craft beer' breweries make good distributed beer in the US. They ought to be praised. And the rest ought to be forgotten.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #219
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2588 Times on 1653 Posts
Likes Given: 5075

well, trick or treat & happy birthday! I thought this was the monster truck thread!

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #220
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default WOW!!! 218 posts!!

Its a thread Monster!!!