Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How snobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #201
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
I went to my beer store today and after picking up my craft choices, I considered a 12pk of lime-a-rita cans. I asked the guy, "have you ever tried these?", to which he immediately responded, "I won't." Ha! I wish I could have read his mind to see what snobby thoughts he was thinking about me. This after I gave him a huge hop rhizome too. Oh well. I still love the lime-a-rita!
It's funny, with you doing so much taking about it looked it up on BA, and while it didn't win a very high rating people weren't really saying anything bad about it either, things like "Well, it's not beer and it's not a margarita, but it isn't bad for what it is." I think I'm gonna give it a shot next time I see it around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #202
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How did you get in on that?
Because I'm a huge Bud Light purchaser.

Seriously though, one of the beer/liquor distributors here gave me a couple. I was super excited, hoping it was a A-B IPA, porter, or something else. Googled it before I tried it, as I wanted to know a little about what I was testing. Was disappointed and thought Tequiza v. 2.0. But then I tasted it, and liked it!!! An 8% ABV bud light that tastes like a margarita - highlighted by tastes tequila and salt (though I'm not sure there's actually tequila in it )!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #203
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It's funny, with you doing so much taking about it looked it up on BA, and while it didn't win a very high rating people weren't really saying anything bad about it either, things like "Well, it's not beer and it's not a margarita, but it isn't bad for what it is." I think I'm gonna give it a shot next time I see it around.
You won't be disappointed at all if you like margaritas and aren't high falutin about them. I was pleasantly surprised. I really expected some syrupy mess. It's far better than most craft beer fruit beers I've had, I'll guarantee you that much.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #204
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
...highlighted by tastes tequila and salt (though I'm not sure there's actually tequila in it )!
I'm pretty sure there's not, but it definitely tastes like it.

The first time I had it was right after dropping my deer off at the processor. I grabbed it on a whim at the gas station in my friend's town. Back at the house, I said I wouldn't be surprised if cheap bars started selling it secretly as a margarita and charged much more for it. At 8%, most people would feel something from it and just figure they skimped on the tequila a little like they all do anyway.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #205
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Lime-a-rita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You won't be disappointed at all if you like margaritas and aren't high falutin about them. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ok... This is the first BMC I am excited to try. Margaritas are really the only mixed drink that I like. Ummm.... Love? Not sure if that statement makes me snobby or not?

meh.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #206
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

I mostly drink liquor straight. Pretty much just tequila, whiskey and bourbon. I'm drinking bourbon as we speak. The only time I don't drink alcohol straight, other than the very rare mojito or whiskey sour, is margaritas. I LOVE margaritas. Notice I didn't preface that with "on the beach", "on a cruise", etc. I just love margaritas. Lime-a-Rita is good, trust me.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #207
carbonzx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ill buy small and local but you have to be careful because anhurser and miller coors are buying small breweries and selling it under that name. I think if we allow them to do this then we are limiting our future possibilities of what we are able to drink bc the macro companies wont care to experiment or deviate from what makes money.

Primary - speckled heifer
secondary - black ipa
bottled - dunkelweissen

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #208
dudius
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonzx View Post
Ill buy small and local but you have to be careful because anhurser and miller coors are buying small breweries and selling it under that name. I think if we allow them to do this then we are limiting our future possibilities of what we are able to drink bc the macro companies wont care to experiment or deviate from what makes money.
This. I buy "old corporate beer" from time to time if I want a beer on a budget or if I'm going to have a lot. I'll often drink one or two good beers and if I plan on drinking more than that I'll drink cheaper beers like Coors Light, PBR or Miller. I really dislike the taste of Budweiser and BL.

Something that disappoints me is that I'm a fan of Newcastle Brown Ale and I've been trying the Newcastle varieties that have become available in the US recently. I really liked Werewolf and Winter IPA, but I'm not sure if these came about because of Heineken's ownership or not. I do know that Heineken now owns over 170 brands (though from what I read online "brands" might equate to varieties under different brands) and seems to be looking to compete with A-B/Inbev in the future.

I'll still enjoy my beer and avoid letting business politics ruin it, though

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #209
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I drink Pabst and Rainier when I plan to drink all day. Cheap and light on the belly.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #210
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post
This. I buy "old corporate beer" from time to time if I want a beer on a budget or if I'm going to have a lot. I'll often drink one or two good beers and if I plan on drinking more than that I'll drink cheaper beers like Coors Light, PBR or Miller. I really dislike the taste of Budweiser and BL.

Something that disappoints me is that I'm a fan of Newcastle Brown Ale and I've been trying the Newcastle varieties that have become available in the US recently. I really liked Werewolf and Winter IPA, but I'm not sure if these came about because of Heineken's ownership or not. I do know that Heineken now owns over 170 brands (though from what I read online "brands" might equate to varieties under different brands) and seems to be looking to compete with A-B/Inbev in the future.

I'll still enjoy my beer and avoid letting business politics ruin it, though
Who cares 'who' owns it... I say.

Just drink what tastes good.

I really like New Castle myself... the only problem is the beer skunks easy... so sitting in the grocer or pit stop, these beers age terribly.

This is a reason why I like to buy 12 packs over 6 packs of New Castle... less light exposure for 12 packs.

I would liketo get that list of New Castle variations and try to clone them. New Castle to me makes a great tasting beer, so I would guess that they can make other great tasting beer as well.

Quick Reply