Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How snobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #131
downtown3641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post

Budweiser isn't thoughtfully made?

And what does batch size have to do with it, and how is smallish "defined"? The term "craft" had to be coined after microbreweries like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada outgrew the legal term "micro."
Budweiser is made by a company who's primary business plan is to make as much money as possible off of people who drink nothing but light lagers. I choose to support companies whose business model is to make most of their money from producing the types of beer I enjoy consuming.

Did I say anything about "craft"? I used the term "smallish" for a reason. I didn't want to narrow it down to a set number of barrels.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #132
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
For me, it comes down to what sort of people and business model I want to support. I'm passionate about flavorful beer that is thoughtfully made in smallish batches. I want my money to support people and companies who share that passion. That passion does not extend to groceries. It's fallacious of you to think that my passion for one category of product should extend to an overarching philosophy that dictates all of my purchases.
Here's the difference between some of us, though!

I DO have my "passion for one category of product extend to an overarching philosophy that dictates all of my purchases". I really do.

I buy local grass-fed beef (and chicken, and lamb, and eggs), do not buy or eat anything out of a package, and don't go to Wal-Mart or B/P gas stations. I don't buy anything produced by InBev, and I grow my own veggies to avoid Monsanto. I don't buy anything (clothing) made out of the US- which is almost impossible I'll have you know! But I do it anyway. I'm upset that my March pump was put together in Mexico, but it was the only choice for me for a pump.

I'm not saying everybody should do what I do- it's MY belief system. It's not about the product produced (even Woolrich clothes are made in China)- it's simply standing by what I think is right.

If someone else has no qualms about drinking mass quantities of InBev products, that's fine for them. And we all know that there are millions and millions of them, since InBev is so successful. It's not about being snobbish about the quality for me, and I don't think that they make bad products. They just aren't something I can purchase.
mjdonnelly68 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #133
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I found Beer Wars on Hulu and watched the first third of it or so. What I saw, and maybe I missed some, was that if anyone was to blame for the 3 getting so big it was the little guys who took the money they offered to close their doors. Had they have loved their business more than making money there'd have been more variety and those 3 would have had less market share.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
kinison_fan Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #134
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I found Beer Wars on Hulu and watched the first third of it or so. What I saw, and maybe I missed some, was that if anyone was to blame for the 3 getting so big it was the little guys who took the money they offered to close their doors. Had they have loved their business more than making money there'd have been more variety and those 3 would have had less market share.
Wait, you mean the companies that sold to In-bev did so willingly? Reading parts of this thread, you'd think In-bev was akin to Nazi Germany storming through Europe in the 30s.

There, thread officially Godwin'ed.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #135
downtown3641
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Here's the difference between some of us, though!

I DO have my "passion for one category of product extend to an overarching philosophy that dictates all of my purchases". I really do.

I buy local grass-fed beef (and chicken, and lamb, and eggs), do not buy or eat anything out of a package, and don't go to Wal-Mart or B/P gas stations. I don't buy anything produced by InBev, and I grow my own veggies to avoid Monsanto. I don't buy anything (clothing) made out of the US- which is almost impossible I'll have you know! But I do it anyway. I'm upset that my March pump was put together in Mexico, but it was the only choice for me for a pump.

I'm not saying everybody should do what I do- it's MY belief system. It's not about the product produced (even Woolrich clothes are made in China)- it's simply standing by what I think is right.

If someone else has no qualms about drinking mass quantities of InBev products, that's fine for them. And we all know that there are millions and millions of them, since InBev is so successful. It's not about being snobbish about the quality for me, and I don't think that they make bad products. They just aren't something I can purchase.
Well put.

I have nothing against people who apply this line of thinking to all of their purchases. I just think that the "you only buy beer from small companies so you should buy everything from small companies or else you're a hypocrite" argument is ridiculous.

mjdonnelly68 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #136
birdroad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
All BMC sucks. my pony make enough for a small town. they are evil corporate fiends hell bent on destroying real beer! but I don't care who makes it if it's good. drink what you like. and all the people that bash any beer drinker because they drink what they like or BMC are stupid! what are we talking about again?

I like to cover all my bases.
Perfection.

Primary: Imperial Stout
Secondary: Session Oatmeal Stout
Bottled:American Red Ale; "Earthy" IPA; Oaked Pumpkin Spice Ale

Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #137
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
You know what making those types of comments without responding to the topic of the thread is like, right?
Are most people -really- responding to OP? It's just turned into "Does InBev suck or not" again.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #138
downtown3641
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84 View Post

Are most people -really- responding to OP? It's just turned into "Does InBev suck or not" again.
At least most people are at least tangentially on topic.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #139
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84

How can they seriously respond to a 'what if' question that is pretty far fetched? I'm amazed people have taken the energy to respond. .

I will presently start a thread titled What if? and begin it thusly:

What if a what if question was being ignored and instead people repeated their opinion for the hundredth time.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #140
Catfish78
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer

What if a what if question was being ignored and instead people repeated their opinion for the hundredth time.
That would be genius. I would be up for that.

Quick Reply