Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How snobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #121
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2173 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 2147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
=Idiot
Is this secret angry person code for 'Excuse me friend, but Michelob is a Bud product'?

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #122
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 3187 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish78 View Post
This was all completely hypothetical. I figured that was obvious from my original post. My bad for not making that more clear. The beer in question is merely fiction. A mild thought experiment.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I am in a much different time zone than most of you.

For me, I agree with most of you here that say, "If it's good, it's good. I would buy it." Before moving to Finland, I drank Bud Light or Keystone Light. Now when I go back state side I do not order those unless that is all there is. It is a taste thing for me, after drinking European lagers for over 5 years, a bud light tastes of nothing to me.

The responses to this post were close to what I expected. "I drink what I drink and everyone else can piss off" (my thoughts exactly), and the other opinion, "damn the evil corporations that control the industry". I honestly thought that the latter would be more predominant. So I am glad I did post this.

I have worked for a very large, industry leading, company in the US. Now I am in business school learning to do what I already know how to do, but need a piece of paper to prove it, Damn Finns. Because of this, I look at these things from a different prospective. I have a terrific appreciation for the big three brewers, for Walmart, Monsanto and others of the same ilk. Their business models are what most companies would kill for, whether they admit it or not. They didn't get to where they are today by letting anyone take just a tenth of a precent of market share. For their lead pipe cruelty in their business practices, I have no issues. Ethics are a different issue. I could go into a diatribe on that and Beer Wars, but that is a can of worms I do not wish to open currently. Maybe I will have to buck up and become a full member to enter the debate forum.
Whoa! Nobody said anything before about drinking Keystone. This changes everything.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #123
downtown3641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post

How is it trolling? You will support a view of buying some bandaid tasting crap with an inch of sludge in the bottle over a nice tasting well made beer simply because the one is labeled "craft" while the other is made by a large scale professional brewery? Because if that is so, it should translate to all of your spending decisions, because it's fickle to just apply it to beer. So no General Mills or ConAgra products make it into your grocery cart? All of your food is produced by small local vendors. Not buying something just because it's made by a company who's been bought out by a large corporation is small minded. There are the same people that made it last week making it this week after the buy out, and they have mortgages to pay and kids to feed. Some of you guys are acting like Budweiser/InBev raped your sister, and it's likely not so. It's just BEER for gods sake.
For me, it comes down to what sort of people and business model I want to support. I'm passionate about flavorful beer that is thoughtfully made in smallish batches. I want my money to support people and companies who share that passion. That passion does not extend to groceries. It's fallacious of you to think that my passion for one category of product should extend to an overarching philosophy that dictates all of my purchases.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #124
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

I like to support small and/or local companies as much as possible. So most craft beer I buy is made right here in Michigan.

I do however occasionally buy beer from large multinational companies if its quality. Several years ago AB released a dunkelweizen that was awesome. I bought a couple six packs of it.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #125
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't drink BMC's beers because they are, for the most part, lagers. I drank lagers (mostly Bud) since I was a teen (jeez, twenty+ years..). I just lager-ed myself out. Ales seem to have more depth. If the Dark Side made a great tasting brew, I would drink it. If someone were foolish enough to pay me a bazillion dollars a year to produce "panther piss," meow baby.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #126
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Is this secret angry person code for 'Excuse me friend, but Michelob is a Bud product'?
Could be, but the fact that Bud and Michelob are both made by AB InBev was part of the point I was trying to make (that AB InBev wasn't all bad).

In any case, the poster's knee-jerk (emphasis on 'jerk') reaction adds nothing to the conversation and serves only to highlight the fact that they are not truly interested in participating in the discussion (at least not interested enough to read and comprehend).

Normally I wouldn't even bother responding to a post like that, but I think it highlights a troubling trend on this board.

I really enjoy HBT and appreciate and benefit greatly from everyone's willingness to comment and share information. Unfortunately, it seems like more and more threads are attracting folks who just want to flame other posters. I expect that type of discourse in some of the rowdier sections, but it seems that it's bled into every thread. Nature of the internets I know, but sad none the less.

Here's my hope for the new year - let's ALL just RDWHAHB.

Happy New Years!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #127
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post
In any case, the poster's knee-jerk (emphasis on 'jerk') reaction adds nothing to the conversation and serves only to highlight the fact that they are not truly interested in participating in the discussion (at least not interested enough to read and comprehend).
Faction #4. See my post #5 in this thread.

I don't think it's so common, but there are certain topics that seem to be fodder for debate. This topic is definitely one of them.

(and happy new year to you!)

Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #128
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I wish the evil 3 would make beer I like so the beer I like would be less expensive. Michelob came the closest with their Dunkel Weisse. I drink what tastes good and unfortunately I don't like Pilsners.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #129
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Faction #4. See my post #5 in this thread.

I don't think it's so common, but there are certain topics that seem to be fodder for debate. This topic is definitely one of them.

(and happy new year to you!)
Yup - I though about how right you were when I first read your post (before things got rolling). Funny how predictable we can be.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #130
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6199 Times on 5390 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
I'm passionate about flavorful beer that is thoughtfully made in smallish batches.
Budweiser isn't thoughtfully made?

And what does batch size have to do with it, and how is smallish "defined"? The term "craft" had to be coined after microbreweries like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada outgrew the legal term "micro."

Quick Reply