Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How should I enter it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default How should I enter it

I brewed a barleywine back in like Apr that I oaked and it is starting to taste really good. Theres a local competition in a couple weeks that I will probably enter and I'm trying to decide how to enter my beer. Should I enter it in the barleywine section, the wood aged beers sections, or both? Obviously entering it in the wood aged would be the best stylisticly I think, but both sections would give me more chances to do well. But I don't really want to waste four bottles of it on the barleywine category if they are just gonna say it tastes oakey. What do you guys think?

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

You are probably best off putting it in 22C. Wood-Aged Beer, as oak isn't part of the base barleywine style. You'll probably also want to decide what the underlying style is. If it is highly hopped, call it an Oaked American Barleywine (19C).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have to agree with David. I can't imagine it would do very well as a Barleywine because not matter how tasty it is, it would still be oakey and not to style.

Quick Reply