Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to save money homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
bizarrojosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default How to save money homebrewing

OK, everyone. Let's hear your tips on how you penny pinch yet still make great homebrews. What do you do to save a few dollars?

I reuse my yeast. I wash my yeast and I use other pre-fermentation yeast harvesting methods. Each batch that I don't have to buy yeast saves me about $8 dollars. I brew at least 2 times a month so in a year I save $192 dollars by reusing yeast! Beat that! (this figure doesn't include DME, water, natural gas, and time).

I would like to hear how others have decrease starter sizes. How have you minimized costs? Do you reuse sanitizer? What about grains?

Let's get our brains together to see how we can all minimize costs yet not affect the quality of our brews!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Bulk base grain through group buys. As I refine my recipes and brew more, I expect to begin buying my specialty grains in bulk as well.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Buying hops and grain in bulk is the safest bet to save cash. Otherwise I don't try to skimp too much on material or supplies. To much at stake.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You could wash yeast. Grow your own hops. Find another home brewer(s) to buy bulk base malts. Build all your own stuff.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The only place I try and save a bit of money is through bulk grain/hops - this hobby is not about saving money for me, it's about making great beer.

That being said, I've saved $256.78 buying bulk hops/grains this year versus buying them buy the ounce/pound.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Honestly, I always use fresh yeast, the cost difference is .10 or less per pint. I buy grain at my local Whole Foods (they have a homebrew dept and they are open 7 days a week!). All of their grain is 1.25 per pound including the Belgian and German pilsners and all specialty grain. They also have very good bulk pricing and there's no shipping. I've also looked into bulk hops but once again I can get them locally for the same price or less once shipping is considered and I don't have to store large quantities.

Most of my capital expenditures are done so it's only variable costs now. I haven't looked into trimming the variable stuff because for the pennies involved it's not worth the quality risk.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Smaller starters can be made through a couple of different options. One is to use a stirplate. Another is to do stepped starters. Use yeastcalc.com to figure out the difference between a single step starter and either a two or three step starter. With washed yeast, depending on how much slurry you use, you could save significant money on DME that way.

I also get my grain in bulk, easily paying less than half (per sack) that the HBS' typically charge.

Buy your hops in larger amounts, or when on sale/special, and you can save there too.

Personally, I look to save costs where it makes sense. I'm not brewing to make cheap beer, I'm brewing to make GREAT beer that you cannot buy for even ten times the price (or more). Since I'm spending under $1/pint, it's not easy to match the quality (per cost).

If you want to save on gear, do more yourself. Making a keggle is a good start. Or converting that <$50 aluminum pot (15 gallons) into a kettle.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
ILoveBeer2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For starters, I use boiled down second runnings from my MLT and freeze. Sure it saves only a buck or so but it is quick and easy.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveBeer2 View Post
For starters, I use boiled down second runnings from my MLT and freeze. Sure it saves only a buck or so but it is quick and easy.
If you have the freezer space at least... I don't have that much spare freezer space. My food fridge has *gasp* food in it (and yeast vials soon). The freezer in my brew fridge is full of hops.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I filter & reuse 1 gallon jugs of starsan & PBW. I've got some extra yeast packets in the fridge I didn't use before. Partial Mash costs me $25 on average compared to $35-$50 on extract beers. I just bought 5lbs of grains for another batch for $8.42. I can get plain light DME local for $13 per 3lb bag. An 1.5-1.7kg can of LME is $18.35 by comparison.
I bought a pound of 5 varieties of NZ hops when midwest had'em on sale. And my equipment has already paid for itself.

Quick Reply