*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How satisfied are you??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
NewkyBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default How satisfied are you??

So I am new to brewing and have only hacked a few of the beer kits but I have not produced a single one yet that I am proud to serve to friends! They are drinkable but not exciting to drink.
I need to step up to extract or even AG but am wondering if I'll have similar results.

How often when you brew are you fully satisfied with the final product and feel proud to offer bottles to buddies?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Right from the start. I never used the mr. beer kits, but started off with decent kits (unhopped extract, specialty grains, hop additions, etc.). Did two kits (minor modifications) before my own recipe then went to one partial mash before going all grain. Once going all grain, I only made one 'clone brew' with the rest being my own recipes. All really good brews with most being great. I did brew a blonde ale that I wasn't too happy with, but it was true to style. Just found I prefer brunettes and redheads over blondes.

I enjoy it even more now that I'm kegging my brew.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
gandalfiii
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can tell you that it took me quite a while before I was making beer that I would serve to friends. I probably brewed for close to a year before I was making beer I was comfortable sharing.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

I seldom brew beers that are disasters. I occassionally will have something turn out in a way I didn't expect.

What style do you like to drink? Perhaps use or develop a recipe for that style and perfect it.

Also, is there a consistent flaw or flaws in your beers? Perhaps those could be troubleshoot.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Kosch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am severely critical of myself, whether it's good, beer, antenna designs, whatever. So, I'm rarely very satisfied, BUT, I've gotten a lot of good, honest reviews, and that seems to increase my satisfaction level. I offered my second brew to friends and was well enjoyed. Nothing fancy, but enjoyed.

Kosch

Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I am very satisfied. I always push myself to make something with focus. If I want to make a tropical fruit type IPA then I really aggressively go for those flavors. A mocha stout will get premium cold brewed coffee and cocoa nibs. Just trust your palate and get as much feedback from beer lovers as you can.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 145

I've made about 20 batches so far. All extract. Only one I was truly unhappy with. I messed a bit too much, got cocky on my 1oth batch and made a batch I didn't enjoy cause I messed with too many additions. learned my lesson. Everything since has been very good.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewkyBrown View Post
I need to step up to extract or even AG but am wondering if I'll have similar results.
You make beer without extract OR grain?!?!? Are you a wizard?!?!

Seriously though, we are often our own worst critic.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I researched for months, watched lots of YouTube videos, read John Palmer and Jamill's books, trolled HBT and jumped in to AG from the start. Never had a bad batch and two years later have brewed numerous batches. Now have four great beers on tap (Dead Guy, Oktoberfest, Fat Tire, and Arrogant Bastard).

Life is good!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2664 Times on 2075 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Just hang out here, gather as much info as you can, and realize that often we are our own worst critics and that our beer almost always tastes better to other people than it does to us. Try to find a homebrewer or hopefully a club nearby, the people there will usually be happy to help and will likely supervise your brew day or let you sit in in theirs if need be. Don't give up. ANYONE can make good beer.

Quick Reply