Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How to reach the right OG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
budchx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks,however I mix it well cause I tried to cool down my wort and I took the sample via the tap at the bottom of my fermenter...
Any other possible explication?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by budchx View Post
Thanks,however I mix it well cause I tried to cool down my wort and I took the sample via the tap at the bottom of my fermenter...
Any other possible explication?
Honestly, no matter how well you THINK you mixed, it's not enough...

It's an extract batch, as long as you have your correct final volume in the fermenter, you can't miss your gravity.

When making an extract batch you are not converting any starches to sugars, it's already done for you. All you are doing is adding an amount of water (actually 2 amounts of water-boil and top off) to a final volume (which the og is calculated for) the only way to actually miss your og on an extract batch were if you had an in the fermenter volume different than the recipe called for.

If you have whatever the recipe calls for as your final volume, the OG of the recipe is correct DESPITE what your hydromter might say.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
budchx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

It's an extract batch, as long as you have your correct final volume in the fermenter, you can't miss your gravity.

When making an extract batch you are not converting any starches to sugars, it's already done for you. All you are doing is adding an amount of water (actually 2 amounts of water-boil and top off) to a final volume (which the og is calculated for) the only way to actually miss your og on an extract batch were if you had an in the fermenter volume different than the recipe called for.

If you have whatever the recipe calls for as your final volume, the OG of the recipe is correct DESPITE what your hydromter might say.
Thanks revvy,appreciate your wise answers,
I feel more relax now.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Good answer

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
So the answer is, relax and do nothing.
And even if Revvy is wrong, which he isn't, and you really are at 1.073, you are still going to have a really good beer.

Primary: Empty :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Pumpkin Saison, Amber Ale
Planned: Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I figured it was going to be this issue, and not what the other's were suggested, but until you told us you were an extract brewer all folks could do (ridiculously) speculate.
Take it easy brother. I wasn't (ridiculously)speculating anything.

I don't know jack about extract. and since he didn't specify either extract or AG I gave an answer of something I know a little about and I gave budchx the benefit of the doubt that if he could use that info he would, if he couldn't, he wouldn't. Certainly he would not try to mash at a lower temperature if he wasn't mashing.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
Depression
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac

Take it easy brother
Brrrooother!!!!
hulk-pastamania-sm.jpeg  

Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #18
budchx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depression

Brrrooother!!!!
Anything interesting to say about beer maybe?!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
Depression
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budchx

Anything interesting to say about beer maybe?!
Mash at the right temp. Mashing Too high/Too low is the most common AG cause of a funky OG, Brrrroother!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
budchx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depression

Mash at the right temp. Mashing Too high/Too low is the most common AG cause of a funky OG, Brrrroother!
Except I didn't brew a all grain but an extract...

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS