Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how to put together an event.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
RobbyBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default how to put together an event.

I would really like to put together a small competition, tasting event to raise money for charity, and promote home brewing.
I've never done it before and would like to start a discussion about all the things that go into something like this.
Any info is helpful.
I am in West Chester, PA.

I want to raise money for the aspca.
I'm going to visit my LHS to see if he wants in.... But other than that I'm starting from scratch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You should check out these guys
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f217/che...est-ii-325524/
Chester Country isn't far away from you, and they've got a leg up on what it takes to get it all started.

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 2053

Here's a writeup on what we did for a small campus ministry http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...arty-for-agape If you've got any questions, let me know.

I think combining a competition and a tasting could present some problems for you. A competition needs BJCP certified judges, I think, and is a ton of work. The tasting, while also a lot of work, is much more manageable.

Good luck and ask if you have any questions!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
RobbyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator
You should check out these guys
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f217/che...est-ii-325524/
Chester Country isn't far away from you, and they've got a leg up on what it takes to get it all started.
I was at this event.. It was a great time!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Keep in mind that most traditional competitions do not make money! Even with entries at $5-7 apiece, you won't make a dime. By the time you pay for the bread (for the judges to clear their palates), the scoresheets and the mailing of the scoresheets, and ribbons and stuff, you're lucky if you break even. Even if you beg prizes from sponsors (Wyeast and White labs and Briess always say "yes"), it's still not a money making proposition.

If you're planning a tasting event for charity, that's great but check the laws in your state to make sure you won't get into any trouble for "selling homebrew". If the event is set up properly, you should be fine.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
RobbyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_
Here's a writeup on what we did for a small campus ministry http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...arty-for-agape If you've got any questions, let me know.

I think combining a competition and a tasting could present some problems for you. A competition needs BJCP certified judges, I think, and is a ton of work. The tasting, while also a lot of work, is much more manageable.

Good luck and ask if you have any questions!
Thanks, and ill let you know.
~Cheers

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
RobbyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Keep in mind that most traditional competitions do not make money! Even with entries at $5-7 apiece, you won't make a dime. By the time you pay for the bread (for the judges to clear their palates), the scoresheets and the mailing of the scoresheets, and ribbons and stuff, you're lucky if you break even. Even if you beg prizes from sponsors (Wyeast and White labs and Briess always say "yes"), it's still not a money making proposition.

If you're planning a tasting event for charity, that's great but check the laws in your state to make sure you won't get into any trouble for "selling homebrew". If the event is set up properly, you should be fine.
Thanks.. And yes I definitely am doing it for charity.. I have contacted a lawyer for his take on how to proceed.
I appreciate all the helpful hints.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
RobbyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm more looking for ideas to do at this event. Any cool things you noticed at the events in your local events?
The last one I was at had each person who came to the event given 5 voting chips.. They then placed the chips at the table of their favorite brewers . At the end the chips were counted and a "people's choice" award was given out.
I thought it was a pretty good way to do it.. Everyone was also given a "tasting sheet" so he or she could write notes down on every brew they had..
I'm looking for unique ideas to make this event special. And to grab as many people's attention as possible.
I also want the brewers to be excited about it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
RobbyBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

How do I contact Wyeast, white labs, and Briess to see if they'd like to sponsor?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm a political fundraiser and the two most important details about an event that determine its success is the list of people you are inviting and a draw.

The beer drinking audience is bigger than the home brewing audience so you should try and aim the draw at them. Have a raffle of some rare bombers or something to that end, silent auction(btw I'm prohibited from this in politics, lol).

Get a good list and get people working for you to increase attendance.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS