Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How To Prevent Skunky Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
timeforchili
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How To Prevent Skunky Brew?

OK, I've now read in several books and over a dozen posts on this site that UV light chemically alters hops causing a "skunky" smell/taste. What I've always wondered is what effect do temperature fluctuations have on beer? Specifically, if I get a growler of somthing cold on a road trip and it sits in my car's trunk for a weekend getting up to +100 deg, is it ruined? In college we always thought that brew thats been iced down and warmed up (usually leftovers in a cooler after a party) will taste nasty, or nastier for that matter if nastier is even a word. Is this fact or fiction?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't use green bottles. Don't leave a growler of fresh brew from a keg in the trunk over a weekend. Sheesh, growlers are meant for immediate consumption. I would not leave a 6 pack of commercial beer in the trunk over the weekend in this heat. Now come January when the temp drops into the 50s & 40s you will be OK, but growlers belong in the fridge and then in your stomach ASAP.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
timeforchili
Recipes 

Default Missure Wort, your answer is skunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Don't use green bottles. Don't leave a growler of fresh brew from a keg in the trunk over a weekend. Sheesh, growlers are meant for immediate consumption. I would not leave a 6 pack of commercial beer in the trunk over the weekend in this heat. Now come January when the temp drops into the 50s & 40s you will be OK, but growlers belong in the fridge and then in your stomach ASAP.
While i agree that leaving the pour guy in the trunk was a major kerfuffle and would have been avoided if i'd remembered my cooler, your answer does not say what affects heat may have on the delicious bubbly.

Also, I've already fallen into the immediate consumption trap some years ago...trying to keep my wrap sheet clean.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to avoid skunky brew...

...do not add skunk to secondary...

Ed: That won't work in my neighborhood...the temps drop below 0 in Jan...

Quick Reply