Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much is your homebrew worth to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How much is your homebrew worth to you?

Recently, I entered my dopplebock into the homebrew competition at Granite City Brewery. It was the first time running a homebrew comp, and apparently it was a huge hit.

A few weeks after the competition, I still hadn't recieved any judging score sheets. I was a little concerned about it because I spent a lot of time on the beer and felt like it was definately in the running for a ribbon. Now, obviously everyone thinks that about their beer, but I'm usually highly critical of my beer.

Anyways... I just found out that somehow, my beer wasn't entered into the competition. The guy who emailed me said they had twice the amount of entries they expected and because of it, they had a few mishaps. My beer was turned in a day before the deadline, but I guess it never made it to the contest. He's offered me a few free beers at granite city, which is good of them, but I don't know if it's enough.

First off, I don't like Granite Cities brews. Second, with all the effort I put into this batch (specifically for the contest), I feel that my beer is worth more than theirs. What if I HAD won? That's a chance to brew your beer at the brewery and $50 a month for a year towards granite city food/beer.

I feel like I was robbed of one of my children.

Anyone else feel that their beer is worth more than this?

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Well, seeing as how the comps are usually run on an all volunteer basis, mishaps happen. Try again next year.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My beer is priceless in my mind. Free to whom ever wants to try it. Sounds like you were hosed but I'm shocked they even offered you anything. **** happens everyone is only human and there are always home brew comps.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would be interested in knowing what the hell they did with my beer.

"Did you dump it?" Yeah, mistakes happen but someone had to do something with your bottles. Did you get your entry fee back? I think they owe you a dinner to go with those beers.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

I recently decided I was finished with competitions. I have entered 3 so far. My complaint isn't with the operation of any of them, it's with the judging.

One competition left me with no complaints, but the other two produced judging sheets so contradictory to each other that they really turned me off. My most recent beer was not even judged against the correct BJCP standards by one judge.

I also decided that my beer is too important to me to bother with competitions which can basically give you nothing other than bragging rights. I've received much better input, positive and negative, from my homebrew club members than from 3 BJCP judges and a supposed "pro brewer".

Last edited by Airborneguy; 06-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Exactly my thoughts. I know my beer is good...and if I like it, who cares what a judge thinks..

I understand that people make mistakes...and I'm a pretty easy going guy. But, I paid money to enter a contest. All I wanted was some feedback on my beer from a certified judge. I'm thinking smoeone at the Rockford location drank my beer instead of sending it in. Wouldn't suprise me knowing this city.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I do think they owe you your entry fee back. maybe thats the gift certificate. Pretty lousy refund though.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

So you are out $3 and two bottles of beer. They've offered a modest gift card or credit to make you whole. What exactly do you want them to do?

You claim in one breath that Granite City gift cards are worthless to you but then in the next breath that you feel wronged because you are out the prize, which was Granite City gift cards. Do you want to go drink beer there or not?

I think it was pretty nice of Granite City to put on a competition with an extremely low entry fee and then give out $600 * 28 in prizes. Who else is doing that? At the end of the day, I can forgive a mistake or two.

If the beer is so great that you are pretty sure you would have won a 450 entry competition, start entering it in other large competitions and collect BOS prizes. Win-win.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
So you are out $3 and two bottles of beer. They've offered a modest gift card or credit to make you whole. What exactly do you want them to do?

You claim in one breath that Granite City gift cards are worthless to you but then in the next breath that you feel wronged because you are out the prize, which was Granite City gift cards. Do you want to go drink beer there or not?

I think it was pretty nice of Granite City to put on a competition with an extremely low entry fee and then give out $600 * 28 in prizes. Who else is doing that? At the end of the day, I can forgive a mistake or two.

If the beer is so great that you are pretty sure you would have won a 450 entry competition, start entering it in other large competitions and collect BOS prizes. Win-win.
The guy has offered me a few beers, not gift cards. I actually like their food, but I can't stand their beer.

I don't really care about the money or prizes, although it would have been nice. What I really wanted was my beer to be brewed there. Now, even though I doubt I could have won best of show, I feel as though I was robbed of my chance.

I don't expect anything I guess, I'm just upset that I got screwed.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you don't like their beer (which makes me wonder why you want to brew with them), then just ask for a monetary refund. No reason to pay for a competition that you weren't entered into. That's it. Get over it. Stuff happens.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Quick Reply