*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much will honey give you in gravity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much will honey give you in gravity?

I brewed a Midwest Berlin Wheat mini-mash a few days back, and I had trouble keeping the mash temp between 155-151 degrees. I had to remove it from my igloo cooler back into the pot and bring it back up to temp twice - so I let it sit for 90 minutes. Sparged with the correct amount of 170 degree water slowly over the grains, then added the 3.3 lbs. of LME and boiled away. My OG only came out to 1.034! Kit claims 1.042 - 1.046. I was pretty bummed and the brew took me about 4 hours from start to primary.

Anyway, I decided I could not do anything about the gravity right then, but could kick up the ABV by adding honey into the primary after high krausen. So, after three days I popped the blow off tube and poured in 24 oz. of clover honey and fermentation kicked right back in again within a few hours. I figured honey wouldn't be TOO out of place on a wheat.

My question is this - I keep very anal logs on my brews and it bugs me that I do not know what the affect of a pound and a half of honey does on gravity. Can anyone give me an idea of how much 24 oz. of honey would have increased the OG if I would have poured it in at flameout?

BTW - still a little miffed at consistant low OGs of my mini mash brews from Midwest - this makes three. I don't have this problem from AHBS kits. Is it possible it is the crush? The weights were dead on, so I can only assume it is the crush (I REALLY need to get my own mill someday).

Thanks,
Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Dan,
honey is 1.032 (1lb in 1gal.)
as far as efficiency, I think the crush has to do with it. Since I started crushing my grain very fine it increase my efficiency significantly.
mark
Beer Diary...

Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbird View Post
Dan,
honey is 1.032 (1lb in 1gal.)
as far as efficiency, I think the crush has to do with it. Since I started crushing my grain very fine it increase my efficiency significantly.
mark
Beer Diary...
So - I come up with 24 oz. of honey increasing gravity by .0096 on a 5 gallon batch. (1.032 X 1.5 (lbs. of honey) / 5 (gallons)). Added to my 1.034, that would make it 1.043/1.044 - that is more in the range I was looking for.

Sound right?

As far as the crush - I noticed the grains were only cracked. I may need to see if I can get a finer crush on the next order.

Thanks bud.

Dan

Quick Reply