Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much does it cost to brew at the 3bbl level?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
smmcdermott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

jajabee....WILL YOU MARRY ME?????

Just a curious question....

Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #22
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha, I don't think my husband would approve, he wants to keep me around for all the free beer!

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #23
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So yeah, what do you guys think.... 3bbl batches for about $500 in consumables, resulting in about 500 22oz bombers, sold at $8 each... meaning $3500 profit each batch? Am I missing something there? Cause that makes it sound like I could recoup my rent and equipment costs pretty quick.

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajabee View Post
This is great to read, Gordie. It's not easy finding someone with actual experience doing the nanobrewing thing.

So I crunched some imaginary numbers last night, and figured that a 3bbl batch, bottled, would cost about $500 in consumables (including bottles, and yes, I know bottles are a PITA). At a whopping $10 per six pack, and about 130 six packs, that'd mean I'd sell the 3bbls for about $1200 (after I took a few cases for myself, of course! ). That's not much of a "profit" (in quotes because of course that's not really a profit at all, with equipment costs and labor).

However, if I sold the same 3bbls in 22oz bombers... I've seen plenty of bomber-only breweries charging $8-$10 a bottle. I'm sure we all have, right? And this would be very unique, small-batch stuff I'd be brewing, exactly the kind of thing beer snobs are always hunting for.

So yeah, if I'm doing the math right, the same 3bbls in bombers would be 500 bottles (again keeping some for myself), which at $8 a bottle would be $4000! Which would be a very healthy profit off $500 in consumables (which might be even less with half the number of bottles, caps, and labels needed).

Am I right? Cause that sounds pretty darn sweet!
Oh I don't know if you could sell your beer for that much initially unless people knew you had a good product. Also remember that bottling is probably not a good way to go from the start. If your going to do it by hand it will take a lot of time and your quality will suffer. If your going to buy a bottling machine figure a minimum of $15K for a used machine. Nanobrewery is a cool idea just remember that you wont be able to do it as your day job for some time.

EDIT: I did find some table top bottlers that are fairly cheap, but again for most Kegging is the easiest and the cheapest initially. If you are really going to make a go at this i would find a niche market like lagers or something, do something that most breweries aren't doing.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #25
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
So yeah, what do you guys think.... 3bbl batches for about $500 in consumables, resulting in about 500 22oz bombers, sold at $8 each... meaning $3500 profit each batch? Am I missing something there? Cause that makes it sound like I could recoup my rent and equipment costs pretty quick.
If you live in a three tier system state like I do (TX) take a look at the hole sale price pro brewers get from the distributor.

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12962
Don't give up

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #26
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Don't forget taxes (fedreal, state, local), your time, utility bills, if bottling the bottles, if kegging the kegs, etc etc etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #27
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

And licensing costs, and inspections, etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #28
jmendez29

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajabee View Post
Haha, I don't think my husband would approve, he wants to keep me around for all the free beer!
Damn. He beat me to it. Well, just make sure that your husband knows how lucky he is.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
smmcdermott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the above post that it will be tough to sell a 22 oz growler for $8. I wouldn't buy it for that much unless someone had told me that it was awesome. I agree that you should start off a little cheaper until you get the word out. But like someone above me said, don't give up!!!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #30
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes by no means give up, but do realize that there is a lot more than you have thought of, most likely you'll be lucky if you even make a profit at first but if you have a good product and get the word out you can make it work for you. The brewery in my home town that started a year ago just got to the point where they could pay their brewer, I don't think they are making a profit yet but they are starting to make enough money to pay employees and upgrade equipment. All of the owners still have day jobs, you will most likely have to do the same unless you have a significant other that can bring home the bacon while you are growing. I think you really have to start out small if you can, I'm not saying barrel size per say, but try to buy most of your equipment with cash to start, I see far too many brewers get into huge debt and with the likelihood that it will take a year or more to turn a profit they cant make their payments. Seems that most brewers make it by having a brewpub, I'm not too hot on the idea of running and owning a restaurant as well but if you can find a partner that wants to take on that side it's a good idea.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Quick Reply