Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much do you drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #141
lmacmil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
I drink a few beers per week. After reading this, I feel like the kid that gets picked last in gym class.
I'll join you in the club. I'm a 3-4 beer/week drinker. Almost never drink more than 1 at home. Might have 2 if I'm out with a group. Takes me 4-5 months to finish a 2 case batch of homebrew and I usually give away 6-10 of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #142
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I need to chime in about alcoholism and abuse.

per my mother "Alcoholism runs in the family" oh really mom I had no idea that it was a genetic trait that was passed down from generation to generation.

my uncles and grandfather on her side were alcoholic and suffered from the disease didn't know when to stop and couldn't stop. per my mom ,my dad is an alcoholic but I can't say for sure because they have been divorced since I was 5 years old.

I on the other hand LOVE beer and having 2-3 for ME is just like some one having 2-3 cups of coffee or glasses of water , or soda. It's my beverage of choice.

it all depends on the person I do not consider my self alcoholic by any means even if I were drinking a couple a day I am not getting **** faced drunk or even buzzed. I enjoy the beer for what is it and not to get smashed.

I went on P90X program and didn't have a drop of beer or alcohol , or wine the entire 90 days I suffered no signs of withdrawal and i was fine. I did loose 15 lbs while doing the program and 5" off my waist line. but honestly it really depends on the person and to say that some one drinking 3-4 beer is alcoholic is just like racial profiling and thinking narrow minded.

to each is own and we all have different tolerance levels each person is unique and different.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #143
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I average 4 a day. I might have 6-7 some days, some times I don't have one. But I used to drink a 12 pack a day, every day, of the store bought water they call beer years ago. I had a problem and didn't want to do the AA thing so on my own I stopped drinking for one year. I then could drink 1 beer and put it down. I am at that point now where I need to slow down a little. Thats just me though.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #144
KCBrewer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1388 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've had my same drinking routine for over 13 years. I don't drink any more now than I did then. I have never woke up wanting a beer in the morning (the thought disgusts me), nor have I felt any kind of "withdrawl" if I don't drink for a day or two, or if I can't have a beer until 9:00pm. If any of these ever happen, I will give up drinking.

I tell my doctor how much I drink, and he's never said a word, and blood work has never shown anything negative. I even had to have a nuclear stress test done a couple years ago after I bruised a lung and thought it was a heart issue. I was told that my heart was stronger than the average Marine's based on my height/weight and the time it took to get my heart to 80% of what they say it's capable of.

I also smoke 1.5 packs a day.

I'm a very active person, and must burn off the calories I drink because I've hovered in the same weight range for nearly 15 years as well, and I'm not overweight. I rarely watch TV, and you will almost never find me sitting on the couch. If I'm awake, I'm moving and doing something. That may be why I can drink as much as I do and don't get drunk.

I take care of my responsibilities. I've worked the same 40+ hour a week job for 16 years, run a small online business in the evenings from home, and do endless amounts of work on my house and hobbies.

Like the others have said about alcoholism, it's whether you control the alcohol or the alcohol controls you.

I have to say, I find it pretty amazing that people actually come into a forum about brewing beer, then judge people on how much beer they drink and lecture about alcoholism and the effects of alcohol. I can go back to highschool health class if I want to hear this crap. I'm a grown man and am well aware of the effects of alcohol, so get over it and mind your own.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #145
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBrewer View Post
I have to say, I find it pretty amazing that people actually come into a forum about brewing beer, then judge people on how much beer they drink and lecture about alcoholism and the effects of alcohol. I can go back to highschool health class if I want to hear this crap. I'm a grown man and am well aware of the effects of alcohol, so get over it and mind your own.
I don't know if this was directed at me, if so, you got me wrong. I'm ALL about personal freedom, but you can't deny the risks are there: if I were to drink more than 2 beers a day, with my awful genetics, I'd probably be dead before hitting 50. High blood pressure runs in my family and I live a much more sedentary lifestyle than you do. You can handle it, good on you.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #146
TastySalmon
Recipes 

I'll typically drink a sixer through the day. Sometimes I drink more, sometimes I drink less. On days that I'm not working, I'll generally crack a beer by noon. On the weekend I might end up drinking 8-14 beers through the day. Is it a problem? No.

Let us not forget that AA is a business, and unfortunately throughout the last few decades, they've been allowed to define alcoholism. According to AA, most Americans would be defined as alcoholics. According to doctors, alcoholism is defined by a loss of productivity at work, health problems associated with drinking, and alienating yourself from friends and family. Few Americans in this case would be labeled as alcoholics.

I drink a lot, and I have no problems with it. I love beer, but I generally don't over-do it with liquor. I have a good job and drinking doesn't interfere with it, I've never gotten in trouble with the law because of drinking, and I've never ruined any kind of a relationship because of drinking, and my health is excellent and I'm in extremely good shape.

The prohibition really screwed our country up.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #147
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBrewer View Post
All this talk about beer is making me thirsty!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #148
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastysalmon View Post
the prohibition really screwed our country up.
ha! +1

Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #149
redwingnut
Recipes 

I usually drink 2-4 homebrews 3 nights a week (5.4%-6.5%), weekends probably much more.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #150
stellaontap

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I drink about 1-2 litres of beer per day. On the weekends all bets are off like lots of people have said. I never start drinking before i'm done the work I want to do around the house (although I have work early because friends drop by) Always have at least two pints when I'm brewing

Eric

Quick Reply