Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much Diacetyl is Dangerous?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am a scientist and I don't worry about things like this in the slightest. Everything causes cancer... everything is killing you... in all honesty, the alcohol in your beer is a greater cause of concern than the diacetyl.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

As far as I can tell, it's the inhaled powder, as much or more than the diacetyl itself, that's the problem.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG
I am a scientist and I don't worry about things like this in the slightest. Everything causes cancer... everything is killing you... in all honesty, the alcohol in your beer is a greater cause of concern than the diacetyl.
You're killing me iffy! If it is not alzheimers it is cirrhosis (sp). You are correct, I should be more concerned with the alcohol. To support my initial comments, I can measure ABV and even my consumption. I do not have the means to measure diacetyl or even identify it by taste. I will research this further as I would rather minimize the amounts and brew cleaner beer.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
As far as I can tell, it's the inhaled powder, as much or more than the diacetyl itself, that's the problem.
Thanks Denny. I'll spend some more time trying to find ways to refine my process to reduce or remove it completely. I associate butter with mouthfeel more than I do taste. Some off flavors are difficult for me to explain. Phenols or fusels have been the easiest for me to identify.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
You're killing me iffy! If it is not alzheimers it is cirrhosis (sp). You are correct, I should be more concerned with the alcohol. To support my initial comments, I can measure ABV and even my consumption. I do not have the means to measure diacetyl or even identify it by taste. I will research this further as I would rather minimize the amounts and brew cleaner beer.
Sorry for being realistic... but anyways, if you are honesty concerned about it do a diacetyl rest on all your beers and call it a day. That's all you can do as diacetyl is produced as a byproduct of fermentation.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

If you are paranoid about it, send off a sample to White Labs and have them analyze your beer for diacetyl. It's an add on test, so it will get pretty spendy.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/white...-test-kit.html

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

In those popcorn lung cases (not the specific one in the OP's case) the problem wasn't consumption of diacetyl. It was inhalation of the significant amounts of diacetyl in the lungs by workers in the artifical butter factories and popcorn manufacturers, much in the same way coal miners get lung damage from inhaling coal dust.

In the story OP linked, the defense is probably right, the long term exposure to carpet cleaning chemicals was more likely to produce the harm. Who knows, maybe he has lungs uniquely hypersensitive to diacetyl. Not enough facts are presented about the lawsuit to know what science supported causation.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG

Sorry for being realistic... but anyways, if you are honesty concerned about it do a diacetyl rest on all your beers and call it a day. That's all you can do as diacetyl is produced as a byproduct of fermentation.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

If you are paranoid about it, send off a sample to White Labs and have them analyze your beer for diacetyl. It's an add on test, so it will get pretty spendy.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/white...-test-kit.html
I appreciate the links, especially the pdf. I had only associated diacetyl rest with lagering. I have a kolsch finishing out and will incorporate the diacetyl rest as part of my regimen starting now. No, not paranoid. I am curious, so a one time test of a typical brew might be in the works. Everything I do to refine my process will only help me create a better beer.

Quick Reply