Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much beer do you keep in reserve?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 AM   #11
JMG680
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Now that I have a Keg System I always have one under pressure and in reserve, then I have a 6 pack in storage of my last 3 or 4 brews for handing out to those who want to try. Any thing to never run out.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nah. One of the kegs is a Belgium that is going to sit until Christmas 2011. My wife is having a 30th birthday party for me the beginning of November and the following week we are having a poker tournament, so most of the remainder will be gone after that.
tom

Old 10-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #13
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

fair enough have fun. btw how do you figure and expiration date for a homebrew?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #14
TomRep
Recipes 

Whenever it goes through my digestive system, it's expired!
tom

Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

lol true that. i kind of want to brew a barley wine but it takes too long ill just buy some of the three floyds barley wine when it comes out.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
TomRep
Recipes 

I've never done a barleywine myself yet. I will do one, just not sure when. It helps to have a fair amount of carboys (I have 9 now) and kegs. I just got into kegging recently so I only have 6 five gallon cornies. I want to get atleast three times that many to do more aging.
Tom

Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I brew 2.5 gallon batches 3-6 times a month. I have five 3 gallon Better Bottles. I like the smaller amount, because it works for me in many ways: unless I'm brewing over 7%ABV I do a no-sparge mash, and that gets me done in about three hours, including clean_up; 2.5g is a lot lighter to carry; I can brew more and different beers without building up a huge supply that I can't really store, when I brew it cost under $20 annd I don't really worry about saving pennies with a small amount.
Oops! I guess I missed the question of the OP. I have no more than three cases in reserve at any given time, and I save one 22oz archive bottle for about a year then have a Drink the Archives party. I haven't brewed anything over 7% yet, so nothing has had to be aged that long.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #18
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I stow some, drink some, bring some back out, & surprise some friends with last years cider or High Gravity beers... depends... on average usually have 50 to 75 in reserve of mixed high gravity stuff, meads, and sessions.
I Took 5 gallons of a session beer on a camp out (cream ale) drank 3/4 keg or more no prob! WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE... burn off the sessions!. will be kegging every 3rd batch of sessions to keep on draft and take camping and to parties from here on!!!

Sessions like pales, browns & milds are fast drinkers. I try to kill those in 6 months or less. ( a few beers a night, plus house dart night give a ways and shooting the **** with neighbors.) If 100 beers under the sink I start to give away a bunch... Christmas is a good time. I'm always stocked if some one brings a gift and I have nothing! 6pack of home brew says "I love ya!"

I'm Putting down a 5gal batch of cider this week to ferm. hope to make it last a year... stretched 2.5 gallons 8 months But I want more!!! It was goodness in a glass.

Olde ale is coming out of secondary in November to carb up... should have that 50 bottles for several years if it's good!!!! Brett goodness... will break a few bottles of 12% goodness 5 times a year.... Christmas, new years, thanksgiving, Bday, and divorce anniversary!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 10-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #19
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Right Now I have 250 bottles full, 8 gallons in kegs, & 11 gallons fermenting.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #20
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregscsu View Post
Right Now I have 250 bottles full, 8 gallons in kegs, & 11 gallons fermenting.
You Da' Man! When's the party at your house!!!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply