Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much beer do you drink daily?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #291
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalt
Especially when you take into account that most people purchase beer in addition to what they brew. Hmmm... I smell b******t! Either people don't brew what they claim, or they're in serious denial. Or, a combination of both.
Last year I brewed 187 gallons. I dumped ten due to contamination. Of the other 177, I literally gave away (bro in-law's parties, b-day gifts, Christmas gifts) probably 85 gal, and had others drink (my parties, taking them to friends' houses, having people over to watch ball, etc) another 50. That left about 40-ish gallons for me & the wife. Not hard work at all! And by the fall, when I felt like I was starting to "get it"' I basically stopped buying commercial beers except at bars.

Last year for me was about grinding out volume while I learned what I was doing. Some of my beers were meh at best, but they were free and my bro in-law's friends are just out of college .

This year I'm looking to do competitions so I can get objective feedback. I want to make it into the 40s with my beers, so I can move forward with my plans for the future

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #292
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My mistake then, I see what you meant by minimal: the VERY minimal responses. Some definitely do seem strange to me in sense that brewing is pretty much pointless for them. But we all have different motivations. Hell, there's a guy on here who doesn't drink at all! He posts from time to time and says he gives all of it away but loves brewing.

I'm fairly consistent at 2-3 a night with maybe one day off a week, so its still easy to go through 5+ gallons a month on my own. The Super Bowl cleared one keg out for me and my painter is helping to clear the other now!
Brewing for me has nothing to do with the time or money i allocate towards the procedures or materials. For me, i enjoy drinking quality beers now and then and one way i can do that is by brewing my own.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #293
DarthMalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Last year I brewed 187 gallons. I dumped ten due to contamination. Of the other 177, I literally gave away (bro in-law's parties, b-day gifts, Christmas gifts) probably 85 gal, and had others drink (my parties, taking them to friends' houses, having people over to watch ball, etc) another 50. That left about 40-ish gallons for me & the wife. Not hard work at all! And by the fall, when I felt like I was starting to "get it"' I basically stopped buying commercial beers except at bars.

Last year for me was about grinding out volume while I learned what I was doing. Some of my beers were meh at best, but they were free and my bro in-law's friends are just out of college .

This year I'm looking to do competitions so I can get objective feedback. I want to make it into the 40s with my beers, so I can move forward with my plans for the future
Wow, well there's a situation that makes perfect sense then! I certainly don't have that kind of money; nor that amount of family beer drinkers; nor the time to brew that much beer. I only give away maybe one third of what I brew. If you notice my previous post besides the one quoted, I did mention the possibility that people were giving away lots of beer though.

However, I'm not sure many people are in the same boat as you (unless they are, in which case, I'm in the minority.) It's definitely not the 2 or 3 drinks a night that bewilders me since this is how much I drink and I brew about twice/month. If you look at many of the responses, they equate to a consumption rate of about one batch every two months. Compared to the How Many Gallons of Homebrew thread, the numbers just don't add up. Also, as I mentioned earlier, people buy beer aside from what they brew...

Look, I'm merely stating my opinion; nothing more. It just seems strange to me! Heck, I'm not the only one...

Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #294
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

DarthMalt,

I definitely see where you're coming from. I wasn't disagreeing with you so much, more like explaining my probably rare situation.

To be honest, I don't have the money to repeat last year. I'm trying to slow down and work on quality. Also, my bro in-law got stationed elsewhere, so I'm really cutting down on batch sizes to be more in the range you seem to be doing--maybe 2-3 times a month, just enough to keep me in beer and pass on a few to my friends.

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #295
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I plan to brew every week until I have two fermenters full and multiple batches bottle conditioned. A 5 gallon batch could last me as few as two Weeks all things considered, including having company share in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #296
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My opinion is similar to Darth and Nordeast.
Why does someone brew so much beer to give to others? I could understand that if you spent all your money on a sailboat, that you would want friends along, but what if you have a Harley?
Its probably just me, but I sure as hell don't take everyone out and buy all their drinks. Just sayin..

Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #297
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2 pints is my avarge.. but i dont drink everynight

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #298
DRUNK-I-AM
Recipes 

Thanks for getting back on subject. Daily=2, Weekends=8, Wing's game=whatever is in the house, Wing's game+Overtime=whatever is in the house+beer run, Wing's game+Overtime+Shootout=whatever is in the house+beer run+anything else that contains alcohol.

What can I say, I am Irish and I like to brew my own beer.

This message was edited by SWMBO.

Ryan...........and Lindsey.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #299
Drunk-I-Am2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUNK-I-AM View Post
Thanks for getting back on subject. Daily=2, Weekends=8, Wing's game=whatever is in the house, Wing's game+Overtime=whatever is in the house+beer run, Wing's game+Overtime+Shootout=whatever is in the house+beer run+anything else that contains alcohol.

What can I say, I am Irish and I like to brew my own beer.

This message was edited by SWMBO.

Ryan...........and Lindsey.
NOT TRUE.... SWMBO....Lindsey.
My number=0, maybe 1 on a good day. Ryan hasn't brewed anything that I like yet.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #300
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primevci View Post
2 pints is my avarge.. but i dont drink everynight
I believe ya.