Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How much is 1 star anise?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default How much is 1 star anise?

So I have added star anise to both a beer and a soda in the last 2 months. They were recipes out of books so I trusted them. Both of them had anise dominate the flavor.

So, is 1 star anise the whole star shaped pod or just one of the little fingers that contains an individual seed?

Cheers.

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes and oh, my friends it gives a lovely light. Edna st. Vincent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's the whole fruit. How are you using it? I like to boil the entire whole fruit with my beer...but if you want a stronger flavor, it can be crushed into a powder.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Be careful....That stuff is so over powering. You have to really like that stuff to use a whole one, and it will take forever if you don't like it for the flavor to fade. I would really consider using only one or two little "petals" or whatever they are called.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

With the beer I made a tincture and added it in secondary, with the soda it was boiled for 15 min. in water. I will definitively lower it to 2 petals if I ever use it again.

Thanks.

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes and oh, my friends it gives a lovely light. Edna st. Vincent

Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

This is an example of why it is a good idea to taste your ingredients. I mean this not as a criticism of your practices, rhoadsrage, but just as a general comment for everyone.

I know that whenever I bite into those single "fingers," as you called them, when eating Indian food, it is just way too strong. I can see how a whole star thing would be way too much for (I assume) 5 gallons of beer. I might try as many as 2, MAYBE 3 of the sections if I liked it in beer, but my beer tastes are not that adventurous.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have learned my lesson. I usually stick to softer spices but this was my first dealing with a big hitter.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You could consider maybe baking with it. Do some cake or bread recipes and add it. What kind of beer is it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply