Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many of you enjoyed your first

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

My first batch tasted great. It was an extract kit with specialty grains and it was put together by the LHBS while I waited so it was as fresh as you could hope for with a kit. I started doing AG shortly thereafter, but recently opened a bottle of that first stout. The flavors were still there, but it was a lot thinner than I remembered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #42
YulebeHoppin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My first batch was some ingredients from the lhbs loosely fashioned into a recipe. I was about 4 L of water low for the recipe, and it tasted rather boozy. Not horrible, but definitely not what I was looking for. The second batch was one of my best.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Mine was a BetterBrew kit for Oktoberfest. I brewed it as an ale since I am still not set up for lagering. Even so it came out great, a little yeasty at first but after a couple weeks in the fridge the yeast cake compacted in the bottles and it was awesome. I got a lot of compliments on it.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #44
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

My first beer (almost a mr beer level simplistic batch) was a bad beer, it tasted like a less butt BMC. Second beer, was a disaster (mispackaged kit+2 guys who didn't really know what they were doing = 48 bottle bombs) 3rd beer was an enjoyable success (even if it destroyed our fermenter) every beer after that for 2-3 more batches was infected before we figured out it was the bucket. I brewed on my own and the beer I brewed was a smashing success. Everyone who had it enjoyed it.

I guess the moral of my story is don't give up and just keep on brewing.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #45
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I brewed my first batch with some drunk buddies about 20 years ago and the first batch turned out like total piss. 2nd batch was great, the 2 batches after that sucked and we quit.

Fast forward 20 years and I got back into it about 6 months ago. First batch was a extract robust porter that I made into a coffee porter and it was dam good. Every batch i've made up till now has been good. The only batch I can complain about is my spiced german ale it has a very low ABV 3.7 % but it still tastes dam good.

I think every batch is a new day in brewing school and this website is the best ever. Internet was not something we had 20 years ago to search for help. Sure woulda helped a couple stoned/drunk dudes to make better brew. Which reminds me dont' get high and shoot hoops with beer boiling on the stove, bad things happen...

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #46
smack2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first was a Brewers Best Amber Ale. It was average at best, but I was super excited that it tasted "like beer." I remember drinking the first two in my back yard, and when that little buzz started to come over me, I knew I was hooked on homebrewing.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #47
mcangeli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I tasted my first brew last night after I checked FG. Granted its not carbed or cold and it still needs a week and a 4 day dry hop, but it was drinkable and tasted like it should.

Can't wait for it to be finished.

Quick Reply