Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many of you enjoyed your first

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

mine wasn't bad, but it wasn't super tasty either, it tasted pretty much like a bland brown ale (which is good since it was a brown ale).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

My first batch: scortched, oxidized, pitched too hot, fermented warm, fermentation too short ........
Second batch: crowd favorite.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #33
RCBIV
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My first was a partial mash pale ale, a recipe from this forum. I was happy with it. Friends really enjoyed it. I want to brew it again, now that I know what I'm doing (sort of).

Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #34
b-boy
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 114

My first extract was a DIPA. It was great. My first All Grain was a SNPA clone. It was great too. I got lulled into a false sense of security. The 2-3 batches that came after were pretty bad. It eventually got better though.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My first brew turned out good even after I made a bunch of mistakes like repitching and opening the lid everyday to see what was happening inside. It was a little rough at first but then I let it condition in the bottles for a few more weeks and it got better with time. I guess Mr Beer kits are hard to screw up. I'm sampling my second batch, it's a Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale, this Saturday. I can't wait and I expect it will be fine. This Sunday I'm doing my first partial mash. I'm very excited but slightly worried that I'll screw it up as it's slightly more complicated than the Mr Beer kits I'm used to.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think it's easy to be super-critical of the first batch, and I was not overly pleased with mine. However, my friend and I were able to rattle off numerous commercial beers that tasted worse, so overall it was a great experience. Knowing that I BREWED IT made it enjoyable, and identifying where I needed to improve my process made it very educational.

I boiled off too much liquid and it was really dark and cloudy (extract added at beginning of boil, did not cold crash). It was at least 7.5% alcohol...more than I like (I use the hydrometer more now to manage OG). However, I learned so much on that batch that I truly enjoyed the experience. I realized the areas of my brewing that needed improvement and it helped steer my research online and in books to improve my processes.

Brew #1: (Red Ale, 5 Gallon Extract with steeping grains, Irish Moss used, overly aggressive 60 minute boil, wort chiller used, no cold crash, no secondary, poor OG monitoring and adjustments)

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
CircusHooker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was glad it tasted like beer...but it wasn't great. It also wasn't a style that I generally like.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
kepling5001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My first batch had an terrible tannin taste due to boiling my grains...I did end of drinking all 5 gals of it though. 2nd batch was meh..not great I picked a wheat which I am not a huge fan of the style. 3rd and 4th = amazing. I'm doing my 5th this weekend which is going to be my first all grain so itll prob turn out bad too haha

Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #39
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Not an either/or.
My Continental Light Lager was enjoyably quaffable with lot's of problems. While it tasted good enough to be commercial, it was a fizzy, hazy mess.
Only two brews seemed problem free. Every brew has been enjoyable.

IOW, RDWHAHB.

Drinking: Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Primary: NB La Petite Orange Blanche (first taste 30 August 2014)
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think if your first batch was drinkable you should consider it a success.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Quick Reply