Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many of you enjoyed your first

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I still have a sixer from my first batch sitting in my cellar, a 10% pumpkin ale extract recipe, its been there for 3 years. It was ok after 6 months but great after 18.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
EdMerican
Angry Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed an extract kit that came with my equipment kit. It was pretty unremarkable. I don't know for certain if it was something I did or if it was the kit, or perhaps I don't like dry stout as much as I thought I did. My second was another kit, but an IPA with bad directions. It turned out well after dry hopping it. Third time was a charm when I brewed an extract recipe my dad came up with without any experience. It was an awesome steam beer. Now two years later I have my processes down and have gone all grain and all my proven recipes come out great 95% of the time. And a good portion of my new recipes come out well or at very least drinkable enough to save.

Moral of the story is never give up. Soon enough you will make very good beer.

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1601 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 658

I thought my first beer was the best thing I ever tasted. There was undoubtedly some bias because I made it, and if I was brewing then like I'm brewing now years later, I'd probably think it was garbage. I liked it so much I got over ambitious for my second beer, and that ended up being, to this day, the worst thing I ever made.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor, Wild Cider, English Cider
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypins: (Empty for now)
Bottled: Doppelsticke Altbier, Berliner Weisse, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer, English IPA
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 68

my first batch was good, Brewers Best IPA kit. If I brewed it now I would drink it, but I wouldn't be super proud of it like I was back then.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Mine was terrible and undrinkable, thanks to being fermented between 80 and 95F. I drank the whole gallon anyway. All of my beers have been better since then.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I wouldn't feel too bad my first batch was pretty awful.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #17
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Duplicate post

Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #18
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Remarkably mine came out great.... I had my doubts due to some rookie mistakes. I just left it alone 3 weeks primary 3 in bottle 5 days in the fridge before taste test. Poured a bottle of Mendocino Brewing Red Tail ale then samples of mine and I'd say it was better but I'm a little biased... haha mine is in the small glass

image-1245310946.jpg

Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #19
PilotCline
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My first beer was a Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter. I learned a lot with that one. It is ok, but not great. There is just enough of a hint of fusel alcohol that it kind of has a bit of a kick. It is also very estery. My problem was at 90 minutes into the cooling I was finally at 80 degrees F. Pitched the yeast and called it good. Immediately bought an immersion chiller before my next brew. Best $40 I have spent yet. Drinking my second brew right now, Caribou Slobber. It is amazing. Very similar to Moose Drool, but not exact. With my 44F tap water in MI in took about 8 minutes to go from boiling to 66F. Learn from what you did to fix future batches. Took a few bottles to the LHBS and they helped me with the off flavors. Since I never had tasted fusel alcohol before, I did not know that's what it was. Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #20
EaglePoint
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first was an all-grain wheat that came out drinkable, but you could vaguely taste off-ness due to a 70 degree fermentation (and I didn't know enough at the time to figure out it was a temp thing). My second was absolutely undrinkable due to me pitching yeast at over 100 degrees and getting some extreme fusels.

My third brew came out awesome, and things have been, in general, improving since.

Primary : Saison, Barleywine, Barleywine second runnings on Roselare blend
On Deck: Brett L pale

Quick Reply