Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many of you brew "to style?"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
ModernDayNord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default How many of you brew "to style?"

Almost every beer I've brewed can fit neatly into one of the BJCP categories, but I'm beginning to feel shackled by it. If everyone were to always brew to style no new ones will ever exist.

I think Sam Adams Boston Lager is a good example. American 2-row, caramel 60, German noble hops and lager yeast does not fit into any BJCP category and IMO is a great beer.

I was thinking, what about a "German Pale Ale," German malt base (pilsner with a bit of munich or wheat) with substantial hop bittering (Magnum/Northern Brewer?), lots of noble flavor/aroma additions, and fermentation with a German Ale yeast (or Kolsch yeast). Basically an APA using all German ingredients.

Or perhaps re-define the American Pilsener. Why should ALL American lager styles be flavorless and full of adjunct? Use American 2-row, NO corn/rice, with American (Cascade?) hopping and lager yeast. Brew as a German Pils with all American ingredients.

Penny for your thoughts?
Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayNord View Post

Or perhaps re-define the American Pilsener. Why should ALL American lager styles be flavorless and full of adjunct? Use American 2-row, NO corn/rice, with American (Cascade?) hopping and lager yeast. Brew as a German Pils with all American ingredients.

Penny for your thoughts?
Cheers.
Well, what about "premium American lager" which is frequently all malt. That is a great beer, and I like it every bit as much as a German pilsner.

I brew to style often, but I have several recipes that fit in no known style- a too-hoppy American amber, a Fat Tire-ish beer with German malt, etc.

I brew what I like. I love IPAs, but with less harsh and strong bitterness than some commercial IPAs (but with more flavor and aroma hops), so I brew that about every third beer in some way or another!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Never even looked at the guidelines for beer and never will. I do not enter competitions and never will.

I brew what I like and I like what I brew so why mess with it

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2070 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 4156

it depends on what I want to brew. sometimes I want to brew an APA, sometimes I want to brew a Belgian Strong with Horehound candy, and I think next brew will be a Saison with rose hips.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I brew what I like as well but I have several beers that are to style and more than a few that are not.

I enjoy them all. Sometimes it's fun to try and nail a style and since i do the occasional comp it's a challenge to nail it and place well!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It's not like it is a binary choice. You can brew whatever you want. If I am doing a brew as part of a demonstration for new brewers, I typically brew to style so that people can more easily understand what I'm making. Sometimes I will just get in the mood for a particular style and brew it. Other times, I get an idea for a beer and create a recipe for it. Sometimes that fits into the style guidelines, but usually it does not unless you count the various "specialty" categories.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
ModernDayNord
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
I think next brew will be a Saison with rose hips.
Things like this also kind of spurred my curiosity. A lot of breweries are beginning to add unconventional ingredients to beer (fruits, spices, etc) and while not normally a fan, someone enticed me with a cherry Saison.

I guess the existence of styles is necessary for competition so that beers are compared "apples to apples" and also for marketing (so we know what kind of beer we're buying). I just feel like I've restricted myself for the last 6 years, call it stifled creativity...

Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2070 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 4156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayNord View Post
Things like this also kind of spurred my curiosity. A lot of breweries are beginning to add unconventional ingredients to beer (fruits, spices, etc) and while not normally a fan, someone enticed me with a cherry Saison.

I guess the existence of styles is necessary for competition so that beers are compared "apples to apples" and also for marketing (so we know what kind of beer we're buying). I just feel like I've restricted myself for the last 6 years, call it stifled creativity...
I was exactly the opposite. I jumped the gate trying all sorts of stuff before I really tried to nail a style.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I brew to the style that I like and enjoy drinking. Can I brew to style yes have I yes but I really like playing and drinking great beer.
Besides at one time the only thing to style was sour's thank god for open fermentation. Was able to go to a tasting and Skype with the brew master of New Belgian he said 200 years ago a signal yeast strain beer was unheard of.

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I use some of the style guidelines as a rough guide when formulating my recipe. Its a starting point for me, not something that I let limit what I want to ultimately end up with.

Quick Reply