Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many mistakes can you find??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How many mistakes can you find??

Here's a video I just found while browsing the Internet at work:

The Good Eats Beer Show

How many different mistakes can you find in this episode? Hopefully people don't take this episode to heart and start brewing like Alton. Ugghh.. he makes it look so easy but doesn't really do exactly what he should. So much for taking the correct, scientific approach to brewing...

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you want to find the mistakes, look at these discussions.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/alton-brown-right-good-eats-118866/?highlight=Alton+Brown

And there's actually a thread wher one of our memebers is currently brewing the AB recipe, and a "control" doing the recipe using his own brewing process....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/another-alton-brown-good-eats-amber-waves-episode-discussion-74180/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alton-brown-my-renew-interest-6325/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/alton-brown-man-44072/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here's the ongoing and recent discussion where Educculus is Brewing the recipe exactly as done on the video and then a control..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f88/good-eats-brew-119814/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My bad Revvy... You guys need to understand though that other "noobs" haven't seen this before. I watch that show all the time and never saw this until today. How many others out there are like me?

Just like people ask questions all the time regarding using secondaries vs. primaries, why isn't my beer carbing, etc. This is a discussion forum. If you've already commented on "past posts" regarding this, feel free not to post on mine. Again, I'm not trying to be a D, I just think that sometimes no comment is better than one saying "We've done this topic to death...". Just my two cents.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Being a bucket-only user, I actually let out a bit of a "YELP" when he forcefully shoved everything into the bucket with the (ewww) bleach in it. SO MANY SCRATCHES!!!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

There were a few things he did right:
He relaxed.
He didn't worry.
He had a homebrew.

And he made beer he was proud of. Seems like a good start but I was surprised at the errors.

Revvy often wields the 'that horse is dead' stick but he also includes lots of helpful stuff while doing it. He gave links to previous discussions which was valid input imo.

I'm not gonna watch it again so my guess is 29.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
My bad Revvy... You guys need to understand though that other "noobs" haven't seen this before. I watch that show all the time and never saw this until today. How many others out there are like me?

Just like people ask questions all the time regarding using secondaries vs. primaries, why isn't my beer carbing, etc. This is a discussion forum. If you've already commented on "past posts" regarding this, feel free not to post on mine. Again, I'm not trying to be a D, I just think that sometimes no comment is better than one saying "We've done this topic to death...". Just my two cents.
Look at it from the HBT "regulars" perspective. Seeing this Good Eats thing come up over and over and over again is Deja Poo. Noob or vet, it doesn't take but a second to hit the search button and bang in "good eats" before posting.

Besides, Revvy's replies were remarkably helpful with links and everything!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I completely agree. Revvy is a very smart, useful resource on HBT. His posts are amazing and insight is spot on. I just feel like a dumba$$ after receiving a response like that. Like I said, I never saw that video before and thought others would like to see it. Hopefully there's no hard feelings... I'm sure I'll need some advice in the future and don't want Revvy to not give me his thoughts...

-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Interesting video. I like Alton, so it was a fun watch. I did notice some termonology issues (Sparging and dryhopping) and noticed that he left the specialty grains in for the full boil.

some people use bleach, and it works just fine (other than you have to rince the heck out of it which defeats the purpose of sanitizing) and I definatley flinched when he shoved everything into the fermenter. I do sterilize in my fermenter, but only ever set things inside it.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
I completely agree. Revvy is a very smart, useful resource on HBT. His posts are amazing and insight is spot on. I just feel like a dumba$$ after receiving a response like that. Like I said, I never saw that video before and thought others would like to see it. Hopefully there's no hard feelings... I'm sure I'll need some advice in the future and don't want Revvy to not give me his thoughts...
Nah, there was nothing wrong with your post. I take the other approach than what jkarp mentioned: if you don't want to discuss something just don't click the thread. Seeing a topic rehashed ad nauseum should cause no heartburn to anybody whatsoever. This is Home Brew Talk...not Home Brew Search and this is the General Beer Discussion sub-forum.. We're all here to learn and discuss all-things-beer. Sometimes over and over and over...it's the nature of discussion forums.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Closed Thread

Quick Reply