Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many have had brew days/weekends ruined by FedEx?? - possible theft here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Default How many have had brew days/weekends ruined by FedEx?? - possible theft here

So I had a package today with two batches worth of grain and yeast that was "delivered" while I was at work. Typically when I see a package being delivered we've left the front house door unlocked as the usual delivery guys from UPS and FedEx leave the package in our hallway (two family house with a main entrance space). So I come home to no package and the FedEx tracking site says, "Left at front door - no signature required". WTF is that!?? Left at front door with no signature required???? It's a big 24lb box, it would never last 6+ hours sitting out in the open without some a-hole stealing it. So now I have no package with which to brew on this nice three day weekend I have.

I called FedEx and got the same repeated apology, was told they would run a trace (useless of course), and when asking about policy they said if there's no signature requested by the shipper they can simply leave it outside the house. WTF?? Sorry, I do have to apologize, I AM reaaalllllyyyy pissed right now so sorry to vent here. I don't know how else to vent out how angry I am.

I was told by FedEx if the driver did leave it out in the open and it's not somehow elsewhere in their possession I would need to contact the shipper to file a claim or something to that effect. I'm not worried about losing any money because I know Northern will fix this and even if for some bizarre reason they didn't I could call my credit company and contest the charge having not received the product. What really gets my blood boiling is how now my three day weekend plans are completely and utterly destroyed. It's heart breaking to work all week every week to have some nice weekend plans completely recked.

The only other thing I'm ticked about is not seeing the face and reaction of the thief as they open a nice big 24lb box to find grains and yeast. Thanks for listening and again, I apologize for venting but didn't know what else to do to somewhat alleviate this aggravation.

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You can get your address marked as no drop if the area is a problem. The regular drivers are usually pretty good about knowing what they can get away with in which neighborhoods.

It sucks though that is for sure. Sorry for your bad luck.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
Rev2010
Recipes 

Thanks man. Typically my block is a good area. Wanna laugh?... the house directly across from mine is a police officers house and he frequently has his police car or SUV parked out front. Only around the corner lives another cop. The thing is only one block over is a single bad block with some apartment buildings that are more like projects, but it's just that one block and nothing big or crazy happens around here. But hey, it's Jersey... a package that big sitting out in plain site for so many hours just doesn't stand a chance. I think also being this season people still think presents are being delivered and whatnot. I am so damn sad right now. I really wanted to make good use of this weekend and now.......

Rev.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I live in a very good neighborhood and I love it that UPS and Fedex will leave the packages since I am not very often home when they deliver. If I had any problems around here I would make a lock box for them to leave my packages in.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah that sucks something fierce. I like the hallway solution... too bad that didn't happen.

As for me I live in a pretty rural area so they typically drop my stuff at my door (semi enclosed porch) and I haven't lost anything yet.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
ronclark
Constant Brewer

Recipes 

I always get nervous about deliveries while I'm out. Usually, the delivery folks are kind enough to tuck boxes behind pillars on the deck and keep them out of the open.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sucks to be you. I've had many packages left at my front door and my neighbors / passers-by have never messed with them. [knock on wood] My neighborhood is very lower middle class-ish.

But I did have Christmas lights stolen one year. And Halloween decorations. So yeah, I'd rather have them steal my stupid decorations than my packages.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You think you are pissed, think about the punk that got a bunch of grain and the worst weed he has ever smoked

Old 12-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I hate that they leave packages in my neighborhood. In all honesty, I live in a place where "crime" means kids getting into a fight, playing with fireworks or sitting on a car, or "extreme" cases, some guy who smokes pot, but I still don't trust the "low income" people (trying to be nice), who are sent here to deliver flyers for restaurants, landscapers, handy-men, etc. I caught one trying my neighbor's door handle once and chased him away, you really think a package has a chance if that guy comes and no one's here to stop him?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
Rev2010
Recipes 

^^ See you know what it's like here, you're in the same area as I am. Even though people aren't getting shot left and right (this isn't Newark though it's not far away) you still couldn't trust many of the low lifes around here not to commit petty theft.

Rev.

Quick Reply