Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How many brewing competitions do you enter per year?

View Poll Results: How many, on average, brewing competitions do you enter per year?
1-3 11 47.83%
4-6 7 30.43%
7-9 4 17.39%
10-12 1 4.35%
13-15 0 0%
16+ 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Q2XL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How many brewing competitions do you enter per year?

I started brewing all-grain this past spring and have entered 2 competitions so far and was pleased with the results. So, I started to think about entering more brewing competitions, not so much for the prizes but for the feedback. That led me to wonder how many competitions the average brewer enters. So, this is my question. How many comps do you enter per year on average?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know this sounds counter-intuitive... but if you have a beer that really SUCKS... and you don't know WHY... send it into a comp. You will get valuable feedback. It's worth it.

I send my best and worst brews into comps. The best hoping to compete, and the worst to figure out what I can do to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I haven't entered any yet so I didn't vote. I plan to start entering them when I feel more confident and start to repeat brewing different beers.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I know this sounds counter-intuitive... but if you have a beer that really SUCKS... and you don't know WHY... send it into a comp. You will get valuable feedback. It's worth it.

I send my best and worst brews into comps. The best hoping to compete, and the worst to figure out what I can do to improve.
This question is to those that are BJCP certified. Do you get mad when someone sends in a "loaded" sample in hopes to figure out what is wrong with it? Just curious as it would be a great way refine your brewing.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post

It'd be even better if you could watch the judges when they're tasting. Send in something totally infected and funky and watch their reactions. "Yup... they just got to mine!"

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Though I'm not a judge, I bet they taste plenty of bad beer. Some brewers are proud of their creations despite the flaws. Others just want help identifying the flaws. It'd be tough to accurately pinpoint the motivation for an entry without interviewing the brewer.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The only thing I don't like about competitions, is waiting for the next one to start.

It really gets addictive.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
It'd be even better if you could watch the judges when they're tasting. Send in something totally infected and funky and watch their reactions. "Yup... they just got to mine!"
LOL.... Funny stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Though I'm not a judge, I bet they taste plenty of bad beer. Some brewers are proud of their creations despite the flaws. Others just want help identifying the flaws. It'd be tough to accurately pinpoint the motivation for an entry without interviewing the brewer.
Yeah I realize it would be next to impossible to tell the motivation behind someones entry. I simply thought they might not appreciate tasting all this "bad" beer. Also, the next beer they sample might taste better and score better than it normally would. Just thoughts and curious how judges actually feel about it.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I've only entered one. Nobody that had tasted my beer knows more about beer than me. I really wanted some feedback. I'm still waiting on score sheets but I think they are good. I've got three ribbons coming with them. I might send some into the NHC next year. There will not be any local competitions here. I can't see ever entering much more than one a year.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 09-30-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never entered a competition. I would really love to though. the idea is starting to grow on me.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Quick Reply