Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how long is too long in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
ahoym8e
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long is too long in secondary?

I have one in secondary (AAPA) going on 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling every 10-20 seconds or so. I also have a bunch of dry hop hops sitting in there around the neck of the carboy.

Do I need to get it out of there soon, or is it ok for another week?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoym8e
I have one in secondary (AAPA) going on 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling every 10-20 seconds or so. I also have a bunch of dry hop hops sitting in there around the neck of the carboy.

Do I need to get it out of there soon, or is it ok for another week?

Thanks
get "what" out of "where"?

Did you mean "get the beer out of the secondary" or "get the dry hops out of the beer"?

-walker

Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep lagers in carboys for 2-3 months...what do you think?

Old 07-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
ahoym8e
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
get "what" out of "where"?

Did you mean "get the beer out of the secondary" or "get the dry hops out of the beer"?

-walker
LOL yeah, good point. been sampling a bottled project, so sorry.

I have this aapa in a secondary fermenter at about 72 degrees. Do I need to get it out soon at this temp, or is it ok for a while still?

Old 07-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoym8e
LOL yeah, good point. been sampling a bottled project, so sorry.

I have this aapa in a secondary fermenter at about 72 degrees. Do I need to get it out soon at this temp, or is it ok for a while still?
In general, beer is fine to leave in a secondary for a loooong time. Think in terms of years.

The dry-hopping might make things different. Some people have claimed that leaving the hops in too long (and I don't remember HOW long this means) leads to a grassy flavor in the beer. But, I can neither confirm or deny that.

-walker

Old 07-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Leave it alone...

I would leave it alone. You have a 2ndary that's still active and therefore the hops still have a job to do. You should be able to go 30 days without any worries. The hops at this point are mostly for aroma.

The grassiness possibility depends on what variety you used. Also how fresh the hops are at hopping. I would think grassiness would be imparted more from a lack of sanitation rather than sitting there too long. There is contamination risk with dry hopping and can be abated with a 5 minute steaming. Like one would do with cauliflower or broccoli if they are whole leaf. Dry pressed - not an issue.

Don't worry about it. Again, I would leave it be, unless the airlock gets clogged. The risk is greater fiddling with it rather than letting it do its thing.

Good Luck!

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Leave it alone, unless you keg. Bottling before the fermentation stops is begging for bombs.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
subwyking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
In general, beer is fine to leave in a secondary for a loooong time. Think in terms of years.

The dry-hopping might make things different. Some people have claimed that leaving the hops in too long (and I don't remember HOW long this means) leads to a grassy flavor in the beer. But, I can neither confirm or deny that.

-walker
ahhhh.... this is a good post for me to get back in the game. i feel rusty. i totally agree with walker and everyone else. we have had an irish ale in a secondary for about 2 months now. i had surgery and spent a lot of time in physical therapy. i can finally walk without my brace, so ive been trying to get back in the beer biz. i tasted the ale last night and it was glorious. youll be fine.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 

I'm glad this came up, because I needed some reassurance that brewing a batch this month and then leaving it for months would be ok. I'll brew it, get it in the secondary, and leave it until I get home for Christmas vacation. The only bad part is that I won't get to drink it for months!

Quick Reply