Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long is too long to age home brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
penutbuttrdeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long is too long to age home brew?

I have 3 home brews that have been in the back of the fridge for 3yrs now from my very first batch of beer i ever made... Black Oil from Lake Titicaca Porter. I cracked one open and it still tastes fantastic, but was it aged for too long? Whats the longest youve aged a beer for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have one left from my first brew almost 3 years ago.

as long as you take care of them and your sanitation practices are sound, the time you can keep a brew is directly related to the type of beer it is.

Lighter beers do not last very long, Darker heavier beers tend to get better with age !

A porter is not one that I would be afraid of being a few years old.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It really depends on the beer but it will never really go bad as long as the conditions you store it in aren't terrible.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

Since nothing pathogenic can grow in beer, there's no worry needed about getting sick from them. All that can happen is that they may not have held up over time.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revi...assics-160672/

Beer's like wine, a lot of them improve with age....That's why stone has "vertical epic" with vintage, and people have vertical tasting parties...Our beer is really no different, it's not something "less than." Or isn't "real beer" it really is no different, just becuse you make it at home. High grav beers can last a long time...even lower or medium grav ones can, though they will loose some of their "oomph" over time. For example a really hoppy IPA might end up being a pretty tasty pale ale in a year or so. Still drinkable, still good, but not the same.

I'm looking at brewing a biiiiiiiig barleywine in a few weeks, to lay up til my 50th birthday. I turn 45 on friday, so I thought this would be a great thing to do.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
neuron555
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMO, wheat beers don't hold up too well, but a brew buddy of mine found some bottles of porter in the back of his basement that were probably 7 years old. Tasted great.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Neuron Nanobrewery

Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Generally the stronger the beer, the better it will hold up. Although a hoppy beer will lose it's hop flavor and aroma over time, so no point in keeping them on the shelf.

And, your diligence in keeping Oxygen out can play a part as well. Carelessness will not be beneficial to your beer.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This German pilsner in a ceramic swingtop was actually great, it was 10+ years old that we could verify, probably alot older than that,
Link here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what...-dregs-137892/
It was still sealed on top of the swing top with a funky cap.

Edit; Actually just remembered it was just capped, and the swingtop was strapped to the neck with a paper label, it may have been corked too, don't remember though.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

My oldest homebrew that is in cold storage is coming up on 8 years. I have others ranging from 4-7 years sitting in cellar temps, waiting patiently to be drunk. All are big beers (barleywine to Belgian strongs/tripels/etc), which help in storage.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.
Hot damn 20 years is older than most scotch I drink. I bet that beer is tasty.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
My oldest homebrew that is in cold storage is coming up on 8 years. I have others ranging from 4-7 years sitting in cellar temps, waiting patiently to be drunk. All are big beers (barleywine to Belgian strongs/tripels/etc), which help in storage.
That's pretty cool. I'd like to do that if I had the space.

Quick Reply