Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how long is too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Gristulin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long is too long?

another nooby question. lookin 4 a ball park on how long i can leave an ale in a carboy before i need to add yeast when i bottle? i usually leave my grog in first for about 7-10 days, then a week or two in secondary. but i have a weizenbock that i would like to leave in the secondary for a bit longer. how long can i go?
Zac
OUT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

hef yeast will stay in suspension for a long time...you should be good for an extended period. i would say aftera month you should still be fine. I would venture to say longer but i havent tried.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

5-6 Months

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hell, a year or more.

Depends on how impatient you are. Yes, that statement is serious.

The longer you leave the beer in the bulk-aging vessel - 'secondary' isn't really an accurate descriptor - the more yeast will settle out. Nevertheless, unless the strain is quite flocculent there will still be cells in suspension even after six months, a year. Depending on the strain, it may not be a lot of cells, but they're in there, never fear.

Now, the fewer cells in the aged beer, the longer bottle-conditioning will take to accomplish. If there's three cells in the 12-oz bottle, it'll take much longer for them to multiply a bit and carbonate the bottle. That's what I meant about patience - the longer the beer is in the aging tank, the more patient you'll have to be about bottle-conditioning.

If you do decide to re-seed the batch before bottling, there's no need to use the same yeast as performed the main ferment; you can use a very neutral strain, like S-05 or Nottingham.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Quick Reply