The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long to let an imperial/double hefe age?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
raven1a
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default How long to let an imperial/double hefe age?

I understand that hefe's are better fresh but I also know that imperials need to age longer as well.

So, where's the middle ground on letting an imperial hefe age?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Without your recipe, it is hard to guess. But, I'd say at least 3 months of aging, minimum.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

i've never heard of an imperial hefe, but as far as imperial ipa's go, it seems that the consensus is to not age it any more than a regular ipa, just assume it will take longer to be ready because fermentation will last longer.

assuming a cool and steady fermentation temperature, i wouldn't imagine it would take much longer than a month to age, and then about that to carbonate if your bottling. thats just a guess though, someone else might give you a better idea.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
raven1a
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm basically going for a clone of Lagunitas Bavarian Doppel Weizen.

.5 lbs carapils (20 min steep)
12 lbs Bavarian wheat LME (60 min)
1oz chinook (60 min)
1oz tettnang (5 min)
2 pkg wyeast 3056

OG 1.089
Est FG 1.019
IBU 37
ABV 9%

Pretty simple recipe. Just really big.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I did an imperial oatmeal stout with a similar og and it didn't get good until about six months from brew day.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

While big beers can get better with age, they should be good right after fermentation, otherwise you're doing something wrong - regardless of how big the beer is. I always see here people saying to age bigger beers for a long time before they are any good. That should not be the case.

As for an imperial hefe, don't age it. I made one years ago and it was great fresh. Tried one a year later or so, did not age well.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

The problem with aging a weizen beer is the esters that develop that banana and clove flavor with start to break down over time. Your best bet if you want to avoid aging is to ferment on the cooler side and pitch cool. Even still I think you will end up with some alcohol heat like you find in that Lagunitas beer.

I have a wheat wine I fermented with a weizen strain (3068/300) but due to the slight over-oaking, high hops and alcohol heat it took a while for the beer to mellow and the flavors to blend. It actually took about a year to reach its peak. It lost most of the banana but kept some clove. It's an excellent beer; maybe one of my best ever. Not young, but definitely after some age.

So decide on what you want and plan accordingly.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel
While big beers can get better with age, they should be good right after fermentation, otherwise you're doing something wrong - regardless of how big the beer is. I always see here people saying to age bigger beers for a long time before they are any good. That should not be the case.

As for an imperial hefe, don't age it. I made one years ago and it was great fresh. Tried one a year later or so, did not age well.
It's not that it wasn't good right after fermentation it just hadn't smoothed out. It tasted really boozy and harsh. But it didn't get really good until about 6 months later.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
TryonBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1a View Post
I'm basically going for a clone of Lagunitas Bavarian Doppel Weizen.

.5 lbs carapils (20 min steep)
12 lbs Bavarian wheat LME (60 min)
1oz chinook (60 min)
1oz tettnang (5 min)
2 pkg wyeast 3056

OG 1.089
Est FG 1.019
IBU 37
ABV 9%

Pretty simple recipe. Just really big.
How did this turn out? I'm doing one based on a mash bill from Jeremy Marshall at Lagunita's. it's got 8 lb of 2-row, 7.75 lb of cracked wheat and .25 lb of Carahells.

Hops is 1 oz each of Saaz, Hallertau and Tettnager.

Very specifically, the yeast is Wyeast 3068 and I've found that a Ferulic Acid Rest for 20 minutes makes a difference. So does fermenting at 65 - 70 F.

Quick Reply