How long to leave flakes wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
I'm making an export ale right now. Added a pound if flaked wheat. How long do I leave them in the boil. Been in for 30 min already

Well I went ahead and added the 1 lb flaked wheat to my 2lb of amber DME while boiling and added 1oz of chinook hops. After about 30 minutes I took off the heat and added my export ale extract then boiled about 15 minutes more and added a little more chinook hops. After taking it off the heat there was a weird layer on the wort. It looked like the dried layer of slim when you make gravy and let it sit. Pretty sure its not normal. Is it from the flakes of wheat. I know now that this isnt the correct method of adding flakes but its a done deal now. Is this beer going to be really strange or something. My OG was 1040 so not big at all. I added a scottish yeast 1728 from wyeast. Has anyone used this yeast. Could turn out like crap but I'll drink it.

Damn, I hate flour but I like potatoes. So its going to be dry or something. The wort didnt taste bad, the hops came out well.

So will this help keep my bowels regular. It looked like porridge when I dumped it out of my bag. Looks like it will be beer for breakfast and now I cant get any weird looks when I say its beer30 at 8:30 am. I didnt need an excuse but now I have one.

Back