Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long to hops stay fresh in the freezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

I have an ounce each of amarillo and centennial that are still in the vacuum sealed 1 ounce packages from Hopunion. Looking at my recipe spreadsheet, I bought those as extras for a recipe I made in December 2011. They have been in the freezer since the day I bought them.

I am thinking about using them to dry hop an upcoming beer. It sounds from what I am reading here, that they should be fine. Does that sound right

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Different hops do decay at different times, but this is really only crucial when talking bittering potential. In terms of your hop usage throughout the year, your bittering hops are usually a very small percentage. I have a great picture of Sierra Nevada using two year old whole cascade. While it's AA has dropped considerably, it's flavor and aroma were relatively stable because of good storage conditions, like those listed above.

sierra-cascade-hops.jpg  

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I just used up the last of my year+ old columbus. It was starting to yellow a little bit but the aroma was amazing. Also, while kept in a freezer, I just stuffed it into a ziplock bag, squeezed out the air, then into another ziplock bag. I only vacuum seal my orders that are a pound or more.

Quick Reply