Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long in fermentation fridge ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Wheelspin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How long in fermentation fridge ?

When can i take my fermentation vessels out of the fermentation fridge ( ± 66 F) and leave it a cupboard ± 73 F.

Dut to my brewing schedule, I can't leave all my fermentation vessels in the fridge for the full fermentation period so I need to know if I can take them out after say 5 or 6 days and move them into a cupboard which is about 73 F.

All, advice appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You certainly could do that, try it and see.
It sounds reasonable to control primary fermentation in an ale at 66-68*f and finish it out at 73*f. And if you don't brew the next week, you can just leave it sit...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
schokie
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I do that with all my beer as well. Slightly different temps, but same idea. It works great at reducing off flavors early on when the yeast are most active, then the warmer temps encourage the yeast to clean up after themselves. Once the bulk of the fermentation is done, you can probably leave in the warmer temps as long as you need until you're able to package. There's little yeast activity at that point compad to earlier, so any off flavors produced will be minimal.

My problem is not fridge space, but that I use an unheated upstairs room for initial fermentation. I can only keep 1-2 buckets there until SWMBO gets after me. So I keep them there as long as I dare, then move them downstairs to the beer closet.

Quick Reply