Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long do the yeast live?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Pschof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How long do the yeast live?

How long can you leave your beer sit until you'll need to add yeast for carbonation? I know people who leave barleywines sit for 6 months need to add yeast. I have a couple of beers that I left in the primary for 4 weeks, and secondary for 4 more weeks. Is that pushing it? What would be pushing it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is recommend for conditioning and clearing that you leave your beer in the primary for an extended time. I left my RIS in the primary for 5 months and in the secondary for 3. I tried a bottle 3 weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I pitched a 13 month old refrigerated slurry of yeast into a fresh batch of wort and it had the whole batch fermented in 36 hours. Yeast doesn't die too easily, it just goes dormant until there's more food.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Pschof
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
It is recommend for conditioning and clearing that you leave your beer in the primary for an extended time. I left my RIS in the primary for 5 months and in the secondary for 3. I tried a bottle 3 weeks ago and it was fantastic.
I find it funny that no matter how long I leave my beer to sit, it doesn't seem long enough. My first kit from my LHBS basically said 3-7 days in the primary, and then a week in the bottle. I was proud of myself for giving it a week in the secondary too. Then I learned the 1-2-3 rule (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle). This drastically improved my beer. Then I learn you are better off letting the beer sit even longer. So I have been giving it 3-4 week primary, 4 weeks secondary, and 4 weeks in the bottle before I open the first one. Now I am getting people telling me about their beers going for 9 months? You people are killing me!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

About 45 million years actually.....

45 million year old yeast ferments amber ale

Seriously though, 8 weeks is hardly anytime to need more yeast at bottling time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschof View Post
Now I am getting people telling me about their beers going for 9 months? You people are killing me!
I plan to age my Russian Imperial Stout for 12 months, sir . It depends on the brew. I would age a RIS, Scotch Ale, Tripel, Barelywine, etc for over 6 months. Then again, the latest beer i brewed was Ed's Bavarian Hefe. It fermented for 1.5 week, bottled and conditioned for 1.5 weeks and i'm drinking it now! Very young. You could do the same for an English Mild.

The only reason i would let a low to mid ABV brew sit in the primary for a long time (3-4 weeks) would be for clarity reasons.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Pschof
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I need to start making some stuff that doesn't need to sit in order to tide me over. I did a Midas Touch Clone that I started in July and just bottled. I have a brown ale that is 8.5% abv. It is 4 weeks old and just went into the secondary. Also have a 6% IPA in the secondary. Maybe a mild English Pale Ale would be good. . .

Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschof View Post
Yeah, I need to start making some stuff that doesn't need to sit in order to tide me over. I did a Midas Touch Clone that I started in July and just bottled. I have a brown ale that is 8.5% abv. It is 4 weeks old and just went into the secondary. Also have a 6% IPA in the secondary. Maybe a mild English Pale Ale would be good. . .
Wow! It looks like you're set for winter with all those big brews. Wheats, milds, and blondes have a great turn around. I might actually go the other way and make the Yakima Blonde in my sig, a session ale, into an IPA! One of the many joys of homebrewing is taking any brew and turning it into a session beer.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
akpingel
Recipes 

how long is too long in a secondary before yeast should be re-introduced for carbonation?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpingel View Post
how long is too long in a secondary before yeast should be re-introduced for carbonation?
As mentioned before, I left my RIS in the secondary for 3 months, added NO yeast at bottling and it has good carbonation now. Maybe some of the guys that routinely brew the 8.8.8, 9.9.9, 10.10.10 beers will add some info abuot LONGER storage.

Quick Reply