The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long do we need to keep lager in fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
dmbshen41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long do we need to keep lager in fridge?

We just brewed our first lager (Midwest supplies "this buds for you"). We just transferred from primary to Carboy and it is now in the fridge, the directions say to keep in fridge for 3-12 weeks do we wait the full 12 weeks? Or is that over kill? And also after its complete in the secondary do we bottle like normal and let it condition in a warm dark place? Any advice would be great thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbshen41
We just brewed our first lager (Midwest supplies "this buds for you"). We just transferred from primary to Carboy and it is now in the fridge, the directions say to keep in fridge for 3-12 weeks do we wait the full 12 weeks? Or is that over kill? And also after its complete in the secondary do we bottle like normal and let it condition in a warm dark place? Any advice would be great thanks!
The duration of time "lagering" depends on the gravity readings and how the beer develops, that's the reason for the range given so after a few weeks take a reading and go from there

Once everything is done then yes, proceed as normal.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
dmbshen41
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

The duration of time "lagering" depends on the gravity readings and how the beer develops, that's the reason for the range given so after a few weeks take a reading and go from there

Once everything is done then yes, proceed as normal.
How do we know when it is done? When the gravity stops changing?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I usually lager mine for close to two months. I figure it doesn't hurt anything to leave it in there longer. I have a pretty massive pipeline though, so maybe you can't do this.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbshen41

How do we know when it is done? When the gravity stops changing?
Yes, gravity readings tell all

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Take gravity readings and find out if it's done fermenting. You should have an expected Final Gravity, and you also need to make sure that the beer hasn't changed gravity in several days, otherwise bottle bombs can happen.

After that, you can bottle whenever you feel like it. The nice thing about lagers is that you can bulk age them (lagering) for a ling time with no detrimental effects. The worst part will be wanting to drink them too early!

I've read that many people ferment for like 4 weeks, then lager for an additional 4 weeks before bottling/kegging.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Take gravity readings and find out if it's done fermenting. You should have an expected Final Gravity, and you also need to make sure that the beer hasn't changed gravity in several days, otherwise bottle bombs can happen.

After that, you can bottle whenever you feel like it. The nice thing about lagers is that you can bulk age them (lagering) for a ling time with no detrimental effects. The worst part will be wanting to drink them too early!

I've read that many people ferment for like 4 weeks, then lager for an additional 4 weeks before bottling/kegging.
I do this exact thing. Ferment for 4 weeks at 48-56, 24-48 hour diacetyl rest at room temp, lager for another month at 34-38, keg and let that sit for 3 weeks. It's a lot of waiting!!

Depending on the gravity of the beer, the fermentation can take more/less time. When I make my doppelbock that baby takes a while vs. the light pomegranate lager I make for my girlfriend...

Because the fermentation is so slow towards the end, I take gravity readings a few days apart. I also have a FG hydrometer that lets me read at half points so I know when its slowed down considerably. I lager at that point. Patience is key or you'll lose a ton of beer in hydrometer readings.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

as a point of reference, i have read that budweiser is fermented for one week and lagered for two weeks. although i haven't validated that statement (googling just brings me back here...hmmmm) I certainly don't see why it might not be true.

generally lagering is shorter at higher temps (upper 40s) and longer at lower temps (down to 30F). braukaiser and some on this forum like yooper are lager vets and are great sources of info.

taste it as it goes along and decide where you like it.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's a rule I typically follow: lager the number of days of your original gravity. So if your lager had an OG of 1.050, you would lager for 50 days. This may be overkill, and I get impatient and bottle earlier, but it gives a general guideline. I think I've seen another rule that says that for every 10 points of your OG lager for one week. Either way. Also, I usually don't start lagering until my beers have reached a stable FG. So ferment until 80-90% to FG and then diacetyl rest until stable FG is achieved. Then transfer to secondary for lagering.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Regardless of the logic/technique you use, my suggestion is "go long". Time makes a big difference in the quality of a lager.

Quick Reply